• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lopez takes fight to taekwondo federation

Yeah, combatives always suffer in coverage. Even boxing was hard to come by. Forget wrestling or judo.

They haven't shown much Olympic boxing since the Cubans got into the fight in the stands. Add to that the fact that the US has had very slim medal hopes in recent Olympics, and it adds up to no coverage.

John

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a fight in the stands ruined Boxing coverage, then I imagine that the fiasco where the Cuban competitor kicked the ref in the head will end it for TKD, too.

If it manages to even remain in the games.

I would say we a got a fair bit of coverage of TKD, boxing and judo. Only from the semis up really but then again that was what we got for most sports. They even showed TKD on the main chanel on a Saturday morning...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/olympics/2008/08/taekwondo_needs_to_move_with_t.html

Some good points in this post on the BBC Olympic blog which pretty much sums up everything that went wrong for the games. Also according to BBC there is likely to be an electronic scoring system for 2012.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

The electronic chest protectors would be a good idea, but what about the head shots? Those are usually easy to see, but would have to be scored by a person.

I guess video reply might work. One of the GB team, Sarah Stevenson, appealed after she scored a head shot and the judges didn't score it. After studing the replays she got back in the tournament. Maybe having someone like a video referee to consult with if a point is contested.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I read the two articles included in DWx's postings, and I understand Bushido Man's point. I think that with the 21st Century technology we have, we can combine the electronic with the video and arrive at much more accurate scoring.

In fencing, electronic scoring has gone on for some time now, and this new technology of video so precise that it follows the ball (Wimbledon) can clarify head strikes.

So long as TKD remains in the Olympics, like Judo, these devices will only be of help.

_____ :karate: _____

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu