• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Its the same thing. They both mean "skill learned over time" (Although, its been translated into many different English terms, all of them mean basically the same thing. I just like that translation.). Anyway, they're the exact same thing, just different pronounciations.

In Pin Yin, the k is supposed to be pronouced as a g, just like the q is supposed to be pronounced as a ch. Bruce Lee didn't like the idea, which is why he always wrote it 'Gung Fu'. Just another one of the evils of Eastern-->Western translation.

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

I believe the only difference is that Gung Fu is the Cantonsese translation as Kung Fu is the Mandarin translation. I'm not 100% correct on this but I'm pretty sure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

On 2002-06-22 19:19, :smile:-: wrote:

In Pin Yin, the k is supposed to be pronouced as a g, just like the q is supposed to be pronounced as a ch. Bruce Lee didn't like the idea, which is why he always wrote it 'Gung Fu'. Just another one of the evils of Eastern-->Western translation.

what's your problem?didn't i tell you to get off this site

blue belt Lau Gar Kung fu

"know your enemy"

Just another example of how symbols used to write with can be interpreted in more than one way depending on theuse. And the pronounciation of the speaker. Actually those who are working on translating some of the older Japanese texts have similar problems because the language has changed over time. Those native speakers who still understand the older form do not have the karate background to really understand what was written. So there will always be room for best guesses.