• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cosmetic Surgery

joesteph

Would you consider cosmetic surgery for yourself?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider cosmetic surgery for yourself?

• Yes. I would leave that option open.
    • No. I know it's not right for me.

Since this forum has a bit of everything, including Harry Potter, I thought this would be the right place to introduce the subject.

The surgery I'm referring to must definitely be cosmetic; it can't be that someone needed surgery, then a procedure followed to reconstruct the damaged area. Examples of cosmetic would be hair transplants, breast augmentation, rhinoplasty (no deviated septum involved), liposuction, etc.

As for me, when I was married, I worked out with weights, but as I entered my forties, weight accumulated around the midsection, meaning the abdomen and its best buddy, the "love handles." (Someone with a wry sense of humor named them that.) My wife objected to liposuction as unnecessary surgery, citing possible side-effects more so than finances, and thought that I needed to change my lifestyle (eat less, do more cardio) to address the issue. My doctor told me that weight redistributes when we hit middle age, and that spot reduction is a myth.

After my divorce, when my finances were straightened out, I went for liposuction. The doctor performed it in his own clinic, and I had a local anaesthetic, not a general one, so I was awake the entire time. It took four hours, and I'm going to say it took four weeks to recover. (As a teacher, I'm off for the summer, so I was able to schedule it when I knew I could have maximum recovery time.) I figured out that I lost only eleven pounds, but it was all spot reduction through surgery, and so I trimmed four inches from my waistline. I learned from my doctor that 40% of his patients are male, and they overwhelmingly choose the same area I did, the midsection. The female patients have a variety of cosmetic procedures done.

I feel great about having had it done. How do others feel about cosmetic surgery? Have you had it done, considered it, simply thought about it, know someone who had it done and was satisfied--or dissatisfied?

What are your thoughts?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I voted no in the poll. Just not for me.

That's interesting. The question was about yourself, but you're looking at it regarding others, too. There are those who wouldn't undergo it themselves, but would be open to others getting it if that's what they want. Your response is broader.

I'm steering clear of considering someone who repeatedly undergoes cosmetic surgery, like the controversy that was stirred up about Michael Jackson.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I didn't think my response was too broad. I am not a very deep individual, really. I wouldn't get it done. If others want to, then that's their business. I just wouldn't do it, money or no.

Oops! I apologize. I misread your original reply. I'm afraid I was seeing "Not just for me" instead of "Just not for me." The first would be broad, concerning others as well as yourself; the second, which is what you actually wrote, concerns limiting your answer to yourself.

My error! Thanks for clearing things up.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I guess I'd leave the option open as I have no reason to close it. Doesn't do me any good to say I'll never do it. That said, I don't see myself ever doing it.

As far as other people, generally speaking, if it makes you happy, you are doing it for you and it's not taking money away from those that you provide for and rely on you, then I don't really have any issue with it. It's their life. :)

Thanks,

Patrick