• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

new member!!

MooYeaDoKID

From MooYeaDoKID:

im planning on someday being an MMA fighter, and want to make a living off of martial arts, do u think im good enough, please be truthful?

has anyone watched the vids yet?

I was, at first, confused by the videos under "shuriken86" and the reference to "age 22"; then I saw that in both the YouTube personal statement and in the thread, above, that you're sixteen, Tai, not twenty-two.

I enjoyed the videos, seeing that you held your own rather well. Your present belt rank is blue, but I don't know your art well enough to determine where that is on the ranking scale. In Soo Bahk Do, blue is used instead of black for dan ranking; perhaps in your art, Moo Yea Do, blue isn't the same, so I wondered where that places you. Another forum member who might be your age had a video of his first tournament, and explained where he was in rank. Have you been in a number of tournaments?

If you're wondering why I'm emphasizing age and rank, it has to do with a posting you have in another place, about switching to Muay Thai, and yet you haven't completed dan ranking in Moo Yea Do. Also, if you go by the tournament videos, we're seeing a talented sixteen-year-old learning the ropes. You're still in high school, aren't you, Tai? There was an interview with a martial artist (I imagine in the UFC) whose martial arts training went right through his college years and into the world of work; he was a math teacher for a few years, fought when he could, and then became an MMA pro.

If you continue both your academic education as well as your martial arts one, and if you especially remain close to your instructor (with whom I'm assuming you reviewed your videos) and heed his advice, then when you're on your own in the future as an adult, you'll be able to determine that answer for yourself.

It's great to have dreams, Tai, in your case to be an MMA pro, but it's hard to tell if at age sixteen you should make this your life's goal. By all means, stay with it; learn your own art first and others as well; get an education so as to have a livelihood while you're an adult in martial arts training.

I think that when you've had more tournaments and earn that dan ranking, you'll know your stengths and weaknesses, and will be better able to decide if you want to focus first on where your education brought you, and make martial arts a close second, or if the MMA pro road is the right one for you.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
From MooYeaDoKID:

im planning on someday being an MMA fighter, and want to make a living off of martial arts, do u think im good enough, please be truthful?

has anyone watched the vids yet?

I was, at first, confused by the videos under "shuriken86" and the reference to "age 22"; then I saw that in both the YouTube personal statement and in the thread, above, that you're sixteen, Tai, not twenty-two.

I enjoyed the videos, seeing that you held your own rather well. Your present belt rank is blue, but I don't know your art well enough to determine where that is on the ranking scale. In Soo Bahk Do, blue is used instead of black for dan ranking; perhaps in your art, Moo Yea Do, blue isn't the same, so I wondered where that places you. Another forum member who might be your age had a video of his first tournament, and explained where he was in rank. Have you been in a number of tournaments?

If you're wondering why I'm emphasizing age and rank, it has to do with a posting you have in another place, about switching to Muay Thai, and yet you haven't completed dan ranking in Moo Yea Do. Also, if you go by the tournament videos, we're seeing a talented sixteen-year-old learning the ropes. You're still in high school, aren't you, Tai? There was an interview with a martial artist (I imagine in the UFC) whose martial arts training went right through his college years and into the world of work; he was a math teacher for a few years, fought when he could, and then became an MMA pro.

If you continue both your academic education as well as your martial arts one, and if you especially remain close to your instructor (with whom I'm assuming you reviewed your videos) and heed his advice, then when you're on your own in the future as an adult, you'll be able to determine that answer for yourself.

It's great to have dreams, Tai, in your case to be an MMA pro, but it's hard to tell if at age sixteen you should make this your life's goal. By all means, stay with it; learn your own art first and others as well; get an education so as to have a livelihood while you're an adult in martial arts training.

I think that when you've had more tournaments and earn that dan ranking, you'll know your stengths and weaknesses, and will be better able to decide if you want to focus first on where your education brought you, and make martial arts a close second, or if the MMA pro road is the right one for you.

thank you very much Joe, but im planning on being an MMA pro, to get my nameknown, then i will open my own dojo, but unfortunately, no i havnt shown my sensei any of my oturnaments, he doesnt go to tournaments, and there really isnt anyway i know how to, seeing how he i s always in the dojo, but yea i will hvae a sideline job. thnks you very much again! i just wanted to know what ppl think i should work on, and if they thought i was possibly good enough. i dont mind if the comment is negative, so please dont be afraid to croitique! :)

iluvmartialartskajukenbousansoomooyeadokarate

• 2 weeks later...

i think if mma is what you want to do you need to practice something a little harder than point sparring, kyokushin karate is hardcore and if you can make it through a tournament alive then you may be able to do mma, i am lucky to teach in a gym that doubles as a mma gym so i get alot of training on the side from the fighters and was fortunate to get to exoerience there fighting abilities during my shodan test.

also if thats what you want go to a mma gym and watch the fighters, see the dedication it takes to make it. ask questions! mma fighters are some of the most humble and helpful people i have met and will have no problems with this

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."