• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Doing a side kick the "right" way

During basics in our school, we do our side kick from a sitting stance (horse stance), step the back leg in front of the front leg, crossing over, and then chamber the leg perpendicular to the ground and side kick. During the chamber, we pivot and turn our hips over, pointing the rump and heel at the target before kicking. Its kind of like a back kick.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During basics in our school, we do our side kick from a sitting stance (horse stance), step the back leg in front of the front leg, crossing over, and then chamber the leg perpendicular to the ground and side kick.

This stepping the back leg in front of the front leg is how we do a roundhouse kick "with step" in Soo Bahk Do, and how Grandmaster Son demonstrated his side kick in his book Korean Karate. But in Soo Bahk Do, to do a side kick "with step," we have the back leg step behind the front leg, and the twist when chambering and firing is a lot like a back kick.

I wonder where most schools that incorporate a side kick "with step" have the stepping foot placed, in front of the front leg or behind it?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

The reason that our school steps in front for the stepping side kick is so that we have to overemphasize the movement in bringing the knee around, and then pivoting to make the kick a side kick. Doing the side kick in this manner also helps to learn to do a better spinning back kick, as the moment when you are in the stepped across position, you are also in the spin position for a spin back kick.

There are times when we also practice the stepping side kick by stepping behind. We tend to do this more with higher ranked students, who already have the motion down well, and will perform the side kick with this step when breaking.

the way i have always been taught is that a front kick and a side kick have the exact same chamber, that being the knee raised in front of the body.

the reason we do this is because at any point during the execution of the kick the heel is exposed and will damage the target. if it is chambered in the way you describe the heel is only exposed during the last quarter of extension. the problem being if you are rushed during extension your knee will either be trapped against your body or you risk breaking your toes. having the leg in front will make the heel make contact at any point during the extension of the technique.

In doing the kick this way, is the body presented to the front? Or do you turn the body, but keep the kicking leg in the perpindicular fashion to the ground for both kicks?

Or, do you keep your body facing forward for the chamber for both kicks, and then pivot your body to the side if you wish to side kick?

I can see the merit in both. I would just like to know which way you go.

as you extend your kicking leg your base leg, hips, and shoulders should turn and your body is completely sideways. i would never turn the front of my body towards an opponent during a side kick because it would take the majority of the power away and make it much harder for the heel to be exposed during the entire kick.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

We step behind during the motion. In front tends to "bind" up a little and restrict movement. Also, the step behind tends to lend itself better to pointing your support heel to the attacker.

We step behind during the motion. In front tends to "bind" up a little and restrict movement. Also, the step behind tends to lend itself better to pointing your support heel to the attacker.

This may sound strange, but that is exactly why we teach our students initially step in front. It makes them focus extra hard on getting that knee around, and getting into good position to execute a powerful kick. It seems counter-intuitive, but it does yield pretty good results.

Nice :) .

Just goes to show you that there are a lot of ways to get things done. Alot fo what you can make effective is how you came up in teh arts.

are yall talkin about a tkd style side kick where you pivot so that your back leg is your kicking leg? because i am refering to a lead leg side kick. i think the spin makes it too telegraphed, and it isnt taught in my style, i usually see it taught in korean styles never okinawan

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

No, it's in reference to stepping with the side kick to close distance. I agree that spinning is usually a less than ideal option. The last few posts are in regard to the position of the stepping foot in regard to the plant leg.