• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Doing a side kick the "right" way

The kicks shown in the video remind of the way I learned to side kick when I was in the ATA. The style I work in now, does it differently, with the foot pointing straight down as opposed to the heel up. Even though I don't chamber with the heel up, I still make it a thrusting kick as opposed to a snap kick.

Getting the heel up, and the leg parallel with the floor, is a bit tougher for me. My legs just don't fold up tightly like other people's legs do.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what you are saying. In SBD they place GREAT importance on the exactness of techniques, and the methodology of their execution. . . .

I was thinking the same thing. Sometimes that means it's great, that you learn precision, but other times it's challenging to your body mechanics. Do you find the same in Tang Soo Do, Josh?

Now, on the other hand . . . A fight IS NOT static, it is ever changing. . . . [T]here IS room for alterations to the chamber. The important thing is that if you want the kick to be a side kick, is the final placement, and extension of the kicking leg, and using the correct striking surface (in this case the heel).

In sparring, I've never been corrected, and I'm sure it's because all action is in flux; we're constantly maneuvering. In performing self-defense techniques, it has come up, likely because action is more static/in place, and more easily observed to be critiqued.

I prefer my less-strict way, especially for speed, but when my instructor performs that kick, don't blink--she'll have shot it out and already rechambered it.

Hi Joe,

Just saw this post...

The answer is two fold...Yes, and No...I have met some TSD instructors, that still teach the exact same MDK methodologies they learned...On the other end of the spectrum, I have been under instructors teaching TSD not from the MDK lineage, that is much more relaxed...That tends to be the attitude I take in my own personal practice, and teaching. I know that technique is never the same for two different people. Yet there must be standardization, we just have more "reasonable" limits to that end IMHO.

There is much to be said for the aesthetic beauty of highly structured technique...I very much enjoy watching talented SBD practicioners...

I just took a different road...Not better, or worse, just different ;-)

Personally I always tell my students that the art, as I teach it, is NOT a performance art...We're not always pretty, but we are effective ;-)

take care,

--josh

• 2 weeks later...

I have always felt that the side kick should be performed so when in the chambered position, the foot is pointing towards the target as much as possible. Also I have found, a thrust is much more powerful and difficult to avoid than a snap.

Another thing which i employ when using the side kick is to only do it with my front leg rather than my rear. its to slow and easily countered with the rear.

https://www.markstraining.com Fighting and Training Methods for Unarmed Martial Artists.

Another thing which i employ when using the side kick is to only do it with my front leg rather than my rear. its to slow and easily countered with the rear.

In a defense technique we study, there's a finish-off side kick that has to use the front leg, because you're so close to the opponent. I look at the position and think to myself that a front kick could do the job, but the reasoning is that a side kick with a good thrust can do more damage.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Don't discount your instincts on this one.

The best movement to utilize is the one where your targets match the weapons that you are about to throw. If a different movemnt will be thrown more easily then that is probibly the more appropriate one to use. Regardless of the penertration or strength of other weapons you have at your disposal.

This applies for range as well as specific movements. If you are too close to comfortably throw a side kick, then another is probibly more appropriate. Or even hand movements may be better still based on the range.

Go with your gut on this one in all likelyhood.

I have always felt that the side kick should be performed so when in the chambered position, the foot is pointing towards the target as much as possible. Also I have found, a thrust is much more powerful and difficult to avoid than a snap.

I think this is a good point to keep in mind when side kicking. However, it can be done in a few ways. One, the way the pic and vids earlier on show. The other, with the leg chambered perpendicular to the ground, is to then do what I like to call "point your rump" at the opponent, which lines the heel and hip up to thrust into the target (like a back kick, I guess). Both will work. What I have noticed is that the more back kick-like variation tends to be easier to jam, as the chamber is not as high to begin with.

In a defense technique we study, there's a finish-off side kick that has to use the front leg, because you're so close to the opponent. I look at the position and think to myself that a front kick could do the job, but the reasoning is that a side kick with a good thrust can do more damage.

This may be the case. In general, I believe the side (thrust) kick is a more powerful technique than the front kick, be it thrust or snapping. However, with the side kick, you have to usually turn the body more to engage the hips into the kick, and line up the body properly for maximum power. Therefore, although more powerful, the side kick tends to be a more telegraphed technique.

Hence, this little tidbit of information from tallgeese:

The best movement to utilize is the one where your targets match the weapons that you are about to throw. If a different movemnt will be thrown more easily then that is probibly the more appropriate one to use. Regardless of the penertration or strength of other weapons you have at your disposal.

I am not discounting the side kick at all, but kind of along the lines of what tallgeese says here, we should think about the economy of the techniques that we choose. Bruce Lee's economy of motion idea...

• 2 weeks later...

the way i have always been taught is that a front kick and a side kick have the exact same chamber, that being the knee raised in front of the body.

the reason we do this is because at any point during the execution of the kick the heel is exposed and will damage the target. if it is chambered in the way you describe the heel is only exposed during the last quarter of extension. the problem being if you are rushed during extension your knee will either be trapped against your body or you risk breaking your toes. having the leg in front will make the heel make contact at any point during the extension of the technique.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

the way i have always been taught is that a front kick and a side kick have the exact same chamber, that being the knee raised in front of the body.

the reason we do this is because at any point during the execution of the kick the heel is exposed and will damage the target. if it is chambered in the way you describe the heel is only exposed during the last quarter of extension. the problem being if you are rushed during extension your knee will either be trapped against your body or you risk breaking your toes. having the leg in front will make the heel make contact at any point during the extension of the technique.

In doing the kick this way, is the body presented to the front? Or do you turn the body, but keep the kicking leg in the perpindicular fashion to the ground for both kicks?

Or, do you keep your body facing forward for the chamber for both kicks, and then pivot your body to the side if you wish to side kick?

I can see the merit in both. I would just like to know which way you go.

s the body presented to the front? Or do you turn the body, but keep the kicking leg in the perpindicular fashion to the ground for both kicks?

Or, do you keep your body facing forward for the chamber for both kicks, and then pivot your body to the side if you wish to side kick?

I wondered this myself. I can do the second, with the body facing forward and then pivoting, but not if I want to step and then do a side kick (longer range). Oddly, though this movement is new to me, I found it easier for body balance.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu