• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seikichi Uehara video

TexasMike

This is a long shot...

Seikichi Uehara of Motobu ryu udun ti (martial art of the Okinawan royal family) was 96 when he fought a 30 something boxer. It was supposedly broadcast live on Okinawan tv and, I think, was part of some Millenium celebration. It took place in 2000.

The boxer tried for 20 minutes but could not hit Mr. Uehara. After that, the boxer's guards were down and Uehara hit him one time and the fight was over.

Maybe someone out there knows where I can get a copy of that fight?

Surely a video of it exists somewhere.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forums TexasMike.

With respect, this sounds alot like myth.

Do you have any references available that prove this event took place? I mean, other than heresay.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree.

Whilst I have always heard Uehara sensei was a PHENOMENAL practicioner (Texas Mike: See Tashi Logue's Book)....I was only able to find one reference to this "event", and it was not what I would "credible".

It does, however, sound alot like some of the tales circulating about brother of Uehara Sensei's teacher (Choyu Motobu), Chokki Motobu.

I believe that Uehara at 96 could defeat a 30 something boxer, whether it really happened or not. Just as I believe my instructer, Taika Oyata, could do likewise. I personally heard Taika say that Uehara had very good footwork. Taika does not give compliments very often. And, of course, part of me wants the story to be true because it makes for a fascinating tale. :)

Well, here are the quotes and websites that mentioned this alleged event. That fact that one of them is a USA Today article does, in my mind, lend credence to the tale. For what it's worth:

When Seikichi Uehara was around ninety-six he was asked to put on a demonstration in which he battled a young boxer. The boxer tried to hit Uehara for twenty minutes and was unable to strike the much older man. When the boxer lowered his hands from fatigue, Uehara hit him once and the bout was over.

http://kiyojuteryu.org:8084/soke/articles/uehara.shtml

Martial artist Seikichi Uehara was 96 when he defeated a thirtysomething ex-boxing champion in a nationally televised match two years ago, later explaining that his opponent "had not yet matured enough to beat me."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2002-01-03-usat-okinawa.htm

tenshinka,

I have Tashi Logue's book, the little book he wrote back in the 80's. Is that the one you are referring to?

I had heard the Motobu story, and I believe the story was confused and Funakoshi's name was printed, which caused a bit of tension between the two.

The other story, I had not heard.

After Choki Motobu defeated the boxer, the story appeared four years later in a magazine called King. The story credited Motobu, but the picture that accompanied the article was that of Funakoshi.

After Choki Motobu defeated the boxer, the story appeared four years later in a magazine called King. The story credited Motobu, but the picture that accompanied the article was that of Funakoshi.

I knew there was some mix-up. At any rate, it brewed some bad blood between the two.