• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Worn/Frayed Black Belts

tweak9

I would be worried that if my belt did fray that much, that I might end up pulling it apart in class. I don't want that! :)

Me neither because that would be a little embarrassing with me standing there with one of the ends of my obi in my hand because I've torn it right off while I was trying to tie it. I would think that my then it's time to retire the poor thing.

:o

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to think that it wasn't really important, and will admit I went through the "thread bare" belt stage as well, cos that was all the rage back then.

But when my training got to the stage when I was coming into contact with more and more Japanese instructors (and the very strict etiquette that surrounds the koryu arts that I also train in), it became very obvious to me that by wearing a tatty belt, I was actually letting myself down.

The Japanese place a great deal of importance on basic, but good social skills like politeness, cleanliness and sartorial appearance - its part of the package and therefore the mindset really.

Of course different folk will attach varying levels of importance to these sort of things, but from a traditional Japanese martial arts perspective it is important, in much the same way that saying "Osu" is considered rather "base" and unnecessary, when the more courteous "hai" would be better - but I digress (with good reason though).

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I think the only purpose of a belt is to remind new students who can help them, and to help old teachers remember who needs help.

I have always taken pride in a certificate, much like a diploma, but the belt is not relevant. I used to wear my black belt with pride that I worked my butt off for it - but the longer I have been a black belt the more I have realized it doesn't mean anything. I could announce myself as a blue belt to my new students and they would still ask the same question, "What do you know?" and I would still have the same answer, regardless of the belt I am wearing.

I always loved the response from the karate kid:

"Hey, what kind of belt do you have?"

"Canvas. JC Penney, $3.98. You like?"

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

I used to wear my black belt with pride that I worked my butt off for it - but the longer I have been a black belt the more I have realized it doesn't mean anything. I could announce myself as a blue belt to my new students and they would still ask the same question, "What do you know?" and I would still have the same answer, regardless of the belt I am wearing.

That is just about the bare-bones of it, isn't it? Great point there.

I think the only purpose of a belt is to remind new students who can help them, and to help old teachers remember who needs help.

I have always taken pride in a certificate, much like a diploma, but the belt is not relevant. I used to wear my black belt with pride that I worked my butt off for it - but the longer I have been a black belt the more I have realized it doesn't mean anything. I could announce myself as a blue belt to my new students and they would still ask the same question, "What do you know?" and I would still have the same answer, regardless of the belt I am wearing.

But isn't there an expectation (amongst new students in particular), that their instructor will be a black belt?

You can't wear the certificate around your waist!

If you did though, it would be frayed in no time. :)

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

We have a tradition that all black belts put the new shodan's black belt on first before the new shodan wears it, that way we transfer a piece of ourselves to the new shodan.

So my belt was worn by my previous sensei's which means a great deal to me.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

We have a tradition that all black belts put the new shodan's black belt on first before the new shodan wears it, that way we transfer a piece of ourselves to the new shodan.

That's a very interesting tradition that I'm honestly not familiar with myself. Do you know where that originated from?

That's a very interesting tradition that I'm honestly not familiar with myself. Do you know where that originated from?

Yes, it is different. Is this something that is unique to your own school?

I really do not know if this is unique to our school or not. My sensei trained in an ISKA school in Baltimore, but he also trained at a Tang So Do school as well as a pentjak silat school, so honestly I don't know where he picked this up from. I will have to ask him next time I see him.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com