• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

your style's curriculum

jaedeshi

I'm curious what other styles have as part of their training curriculum. Also what training, if any, do individual dojos add to their style's curriculum.

I trained in Matsubayashi-ryu (shorin-ryu)

18 kata

7 yakusoku kumite

5 weapons bo, sai, kama, tonfa, nunchaku

can't tell you about how many kata for each but the bo had the most

also a couple of training and conditioning drills

The dojo I was in added 6 yakusoku kumite to the curriculum. Just before I left the dojo they added 1 kata.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 weeks later...

Let's me see, I've said this somewhere before...

Empty Handed:

8 Kihon Kata

Tensho

2 Fuku Kata

3 Naihachi

1 Seisan

5 Pinan

3 Passai (Sho, Dai, Kopasai Sho)

3 Kusanku (Sho, Dai, Chatanyara no)

Chinto

Gojushiho

Unsu

Jion

Tetsho

Bo:

Gyosho no kun

2 Shushi no kun (Sho and Dai)

Sakugawa no kun sho

Soeshi(sp uncertain) no kun sho

Sai:

Ichi no Sai

Chatanyara no Sai

Hamahiga no Sai

2 more (Names elude me ATM)

Nunchaku:

Maizato

Aguni no nunchaku

Aguni ni nunchaku

(may be more beyond my knowledge)

Tonfa:

Hamahiga no Tonfa

Ekku Bo:

(I don't know the kata name)

Kama:

(I don't know the kata name)

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• 2 weeks later...

pinan shodan, pinan nidan, matsumura bo shodan, seisan, wansu, naihanchi shodan, bo nidan, naihanchi nidan, ananku, nunchaku shodan, ananku sai, passai sho, pinan sandan, naihanchi sandan, chinto shodan, kama shodan, passai dai, chinto nidan, and tonfa shodan.

plus all the drills and such, and you have certain basics that come with green, brown and black belt

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

Humm... big question. Ok,

4 basic principles at varying levels of understanding per rank

3 weapon control principles, usually introduced around green or so

set of 4, quadrant based angle drills at-

white, yellow, orange, green, and purple

knowledge of tuite and small joint manipulation, beginning with basics and working up in complexity as ranks go.

takedown series. usually beginning with sweeps and on to body contact throws

we've imported ground fighting, ranging from basic escapes at low levels to a more complete expectation by bb level.

trapping skills. again, starting with basic single traps and moving on in complexity

weapons training that includes defenses from and use of knives, club, and gun. some of our schools also incoportate double stick drills to augment trapping work. a few do some traditional weaponry.

Striking is expected to be demonstrated on mitts and during sparring from all ranges with all weapons at a level depended skill.

Simulation training begining with preset attacks against a handful of optional responses and ending with fully spointaneous attacks and defenses at various levels of armor is a primary tool of training.

Sparring of various contact levels and differnt sets of armor is ustilized throughout the training process to work on differnt aspects of fighting.

Some of the schools in our organiztion also incorportate other things such as pressure point control, but I don't know exactly to what extent they utilize it as part of the teaching model.

Probibly a few other things that slipped my mind, but that's a pretty good list.

I'm curious what other styles have as part of their training curriculum. Also what training, if any, do individual dojos add to their style's curriculum.

I trained in Matsubayashi-ryu (shorin-ryu)

18 kata

7 yakusoku kumite

5 weapons bo, sai, kama, tonfa, nunchaku

can't tell you about how many kata for each but the bo had the most

also a couple of training and conditioning drills

The dojo I was in added 6 yakusoku kumite to the curriculum. Just before I left the dojo they added 1 kata.

Many styles do not have curriculums as such. Its goups and schools that practice the style that set their own curriculums.

Traditionally, "Japanese" Karate styles registered their techniques and kata with the Dai Nippon Butokukai, however this did not necessarily represent a teaching curriculum.

Today I guess groups and independent schools are free to set these as long as their students could perform the prescribed techniques / kata.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com