• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The washing of the belt

my club says not to wash our belts they say it washes the spirit out of the belt

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol well i guess if your dojo requires you don't wash your belt I guess you have no choice, but I know i've heard of people going to japan, and they wash their belts.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

my club's stance is that you shouldn't be washing the belt all the time, but if it looks downright dirty, then that is disrespectful too, so you better wash it. It's recommended not to wash the colored belts much (or with other clothes) because I guess some of them don't have real high quality dyes or something. I dunno, maybe not true, but I do know a guy who washes he belt about once a month and it looks pretty faded.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

If my belt gets dirty I wash it, if it gets worn I buy another ... they are not that expensive :) as for respect ... I respect it, take care of it, and offer it the chance to rest in my room after it's life has passed. I never put my belts through the shame of appearing in front of the world torn and dirty :)

With all the sweat and grime that builds up on it, having an excessively dirty belt seems pretty unsanitary...

It's just a strip of cloth. If washing your belt makes you feel weaker then perhaps your mind is not strong enough just yet!

Would you use your style in a Real Life situation if forced? You wouldn't have a belt on at all, then! :D

• 3 months later...
about two years ago, my house was struck by lightning and my room blew up (my room was the only one that recieved massive damage :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken:). big fire and everything. everything in my room that survived the explosion, then the fire, then the firemen blasting at it with a bunch of hoses (which included my belts) needed to be washed to get the smoke out. my white belt is now black (actually, more of a dark gray...), and everyone of my belts has been washed. i don't know where i was going with this, but it seemed to apply at the time... i just completely lost my point, never mind lol

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai