• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The washing of the belt

....."Wax on-wax off" :bigwink:

*1st Dan Oct 2004*

"Progress lies not enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be."

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL Old rookie. That was good :lol: In that case, I would wash my belt :lol:

P.S. My belts don't have washing instructions on them (I have no clue why).

Laurie S.

Yellow belt/green stripe TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-06-24 15:40 ]

Laurie F

There is a small tag with Korean symbols on ours ... and then it simply says DO NOT HOT WASH (for colored belts that would be obvious as to why you shouldn't!)

In another thread someone pointed out that I was adamant about not washing the belt.

I really wasn't .... but you should clean stains individually if you can, if not, then cold water washing will do it.

My belt (which the school specially orders) is embroidered with my name in Korean on one side and my "English" name on the other.... I don't wash for fear that it will unravel or turn grey. I have some major laundry issues around my house! (One way to get your teens to do their laundry!) If you want something shrunk down to size .... I can do it for ya no problem!

You needn't wash a belt to relax it. To relax a new belt so it will hang freely, continuously crush it into a ball with the hands and store it this shape. A belt may be stretched by hanging it over the top of a door and pulling down on the ends of the belt.

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-24 16:06 ]

Who wants a dirt, sweat and blood encrusted belt anyway? Seems like it's the same people who say 'belts don't matter, it's the martial artist inside that counts'. So why do you want (grossly unhygenic) evidence of your hard work and skill plastered on your belt? Let your actions speak for themselves, but I guess a smelly belt certainly speaks volumes :dead:

to be honest, if you are zipping through the coloured belts then I guess it is ok to skimp on the washing. But I have an old favourite white belt that I dig out everytime I move dojos that definitely needs all the washing it can get.

i've never really thought about it before. i dont because it doesnt really need washing. i dont think its disrespecting your belt washing it, if anything its respecting it more. i was thinking does anyone for any reason just wear there white belt? coz then it could get really really dirty.

I just ran across this one today with reference to the "washing of the belt".

The "obi" (in Karate) is never washed. This is because you do not wish to wash away the knowledge and hard work that you have put into your training. The obi is the symbol of that effort and it is thought that if you wash the obi, you wash away the information contained within.

That's the story my old instructor told me, kickchick. I washed my first 2 belts and he found out, then he told me that story. I haven't washed any of my belts since.

Laurie S.

Green belt TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-06-26 20:29 ]

Laurie F

You should never ever wash your belt no matter what. It should reflect the time and training that you have put in. It may sound weird, but it is supposed to contain the soul of your training. I have the same policy for belt washing as my different instructors when it comes to my students, Wash your belt and you get to start all over again. I will stripp the rank of any student that washes their belt. :kaioken: :argue: :argue:

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

• 7 months later...
This is a weired thread. See I read somethign online that a lot of the dojos in america like to try and make up japanese cutstoms. They said that this is one of them. The man that was writing the page even went to japan to a dojo and when he was there no one would sparr with him because he smelled so bad. The smell was coming from his belt. So yeah I'm pretty sure your suposed to washyour belt. If not then it's gonna be one sinky dojo.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

maybe you guys shouldn't wash your gi either. There's plenty of hard work and effort soaked into those at the end of a session.

I train in a style that does not have a belt fetish that alot of other martial arts have. I don't really think the symbol is all that important and you should wash it if it is dirty. I don't even wear my sash due to the invention of drawstring sweats.