The washing of the belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its never really come up for me... Does anyone hold a colored belt for long enough to need washing? My belt doesn't get that dirty... there shouldn't be THAT much grime in the dojo, and I only wear my gi there, so...

I've actually heard of black belts in Japan... shock! horror! buying a NEW black belt :eek:

KarateForums.com - Sempai

No not really. We go though 3 brown belt ranks but use the same belt. However it is hard to get a brown belt dirty. LOL.

In the summer when I was going up the ranks my Sensei Harvey used to take us to the local camp ground a few weekends and we would train outside. We have not gotten together and done that in 4 years. However when we did that we did get pretty dirty. Stretching on the gound and stuff.

However you are right the dojo should be very clean and the usual time between belts is 3 months they should ot get real dirty.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I have been training for almost 17 years now and have NEVER washed ANY of my belts EVER!!! However, after 9 years with the same blackbelt I finally bought a new one. However, my original blackbelt was given to me by my instructor and this belt was HIS belt he receieved when he became a blackbelt. So the belt is prob. 16 years old at least. I am in the process of opening my own dojo so this belt will be put in a case and kept on my desk.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Sounds like that belt should one day be passed on to your "successor" in turn... :smile:

I always wondered why most belts cover two grades, white is only one, and brown covers three... now I know... hehe the brown belt can take the most wear. :grin:

Taikudo-ka,

We have our belts for two grades (gup/kyu's). Most people in my school will have the same belt for 4 to 6 months, but it's for 2 grades. We have so many grades (12) that we can't keep changing color belts everytime. The reason for so many grades is because we learn TKD up till 4 gup, them we learn a bit of kung fu for the last 4. So, that makes me an 8th gup for this school (green belt as of saturday).

But for regular TKD, they change it everytime (from what I know of). I would be a 5th gup in regular TKD.

Laurie S.

Yellow belt/green stripe TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-06-23 11:05 ]

Laurie F

Our philosophy was/and still is not to wash our belt. Pretty much for many of the reasons already posted. The way I look at it, it you want the stiffness of the belt to go away, then you must work to make it go away.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I had a belt I wore a long time develope a really foul odor. Okay I know that I sweat a lot. It was getting to the point where it was making the rest of the stuff in my bag stink.

I just sort of took a shower with it.

I'll have to give the "kata in the waves" a go this coming summer.

Meanwhile, does anyone, in the ultimate piece of irony, have a proudly unwashed belt with the washing instructions label still unashamedly attached?

:roll: :???: