James Bullock

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emptying in a context of not using preconcieved notions to interfear with learning new aspects of fighting is a good thing. That willingness to learn is what keeps your own skills evolving.

However, prior experiance can be a good touchstone for basing new knowledge gains. It can lead to quiker learning of similar movement patterns. This is useful as well. Also, you always have to keep your own combative plan and principles in mind so you can assess how these new skills fit into your strategy.

So, as an actdote to learning it seems sound. However, you have to keep the grand strategy in mind at all times as to now get side tracked into areas that aren't propelling you towards your goal, whatever that may be.

I think you are right on top of it here, tallgeese.

I had an "empty your cup" moment at the Aikido seminar I attended last weekend. I went in with my prior knowledge, and even had to stop myself from my natural TKD tendencies (which was my "it hits all by itself moment" :P ). But, what I had to do, was try not to do my natural TKD/Hapkido stuff, and just do things the way the Sensei was showing us to do it. This worked surprisingly well for me, too. I still used my Hapkido knowledge of wrist cranking and joint locking, etc., to work on some of the locks and stuff, but with the new Tai Sabaki and such, emptying my cup was the only way to go.

Man, I'm getting all spiritual and stuff.... :o

Tell me about it! I gotta back off a touch...

Emptying in a context of not using preconcieved notions to interfear with learning new aspects of fighting is a good thing. That willingness to learn is what keeps your own skills evolving.

However, prior experiance can be a good touchstone for basing new knowledge gains. It can lead to quiker learning of similar movement patterns. This is useful as well. Also, you always have to keep your own combative plan and principles in mind so you can assess how these new skills fit into your strategy.

So, as an actdote to learning it seems sound. However, you have to keep the grand strategy in mind at all times as to now get side tracked into areas that aren't propelling you towards your goal, whatever that may be.

I think you are right on top of it here, tallgeese.

I had an "empty your cup" moment at the Aikido seminar I attended last weekend. I went in with my prior knowledge, and even had to stop myself from my natural TKD tendencies (which was my "it hits all by itself moment" :P ). But, what I had to do, was try not to do my natural TKD/Hapkido stuff, and just do things the way the Sensei was showing us to do it. This worked surprisingly well for me, too. I still used my Hapkido knowledge of wrist cranking and joint locking, etc., to work on some of the locks and stuff, but with the new Tai Sabaki and such, emptying my cup was the only way to go.

Man, I'm getting all spiritual and stuff.... :o

Tell me about it! I gotta back off a touch...

初心 = "Shoshin" or beginners (first) mind

To get the best out of anything new that your are learning from an MA perspective, you must empty your cup.

Not picking on you Bushi, but I noticed something from your "Aiki" thread about how you thought that the basics were a little different but in time you could get them down. Well...I am not sure this will be quick my friend, as it takes years to learn how to move well in Aiki-do and yes, I know you guys don't see the utility of studying any art that takes more than 5 minutes to learn how to become the next Chuck Liddell! lol.

Seriously though, I hope it is going well.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I think that the basics will come along rather quickly. I don't think I'll master anything anytime soon, and that's ok. I wouldn't plan on it being that way. But, as for learning the basics, I think I can do it in a fairly good period of time (maybe not weeks, but months) and get good at it that I can really start putting things together.

I think that the basics will come along rather quickly. I don't think I'll master anything anytime soon, and that's ok. I wouldn't plan on it being that way. But, as for learning the basics, I think I can do it in a fairly good period of time (maybe not weeks, but months) and get good at it that I can really start putting things together.

Well I suppopse only time will tell. My advise to you though would be don't expect too much from yourself.

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

I expect a lot from myself. I work hard, and will put my mind to it, so I will expect a lot from myself.

Quite right, it would be a waste of your time and money if you didn't.

I should have perhaps said don't expect too much from yourself too quickly.

I always think it is a shame when people start training in arts like Aikido and leave before they have had time to understand what makes it work. They often blame the instructor or the system itself for the shortcomings particularly if they have come from other systems with the preconceptions that often accompany this.

But I am sure you are not one of these people Bushi :)

Thank you, Zanshin.

I would like to make a point about something you mentioned earlier:

I know you guys don't see the utility of studying any art that takes more than 5 minutes to learn how to become the next Chuck Liddell! lol.

You misunderstand my intentions here. I never stated that I would not want to spend years or my lifetime mastering a style. If that were the case, I would not have stuck out TKD for 14 years. What I do mean, is that I think a system should be able to transmit an ability to reasonably defend oneself within an efficient time span.

Two different things.:)

Yes, definitely easier said than done. I don't know if I would want to totally empty my mind or not. Although, I do kind of agree with the idea of "empty your cup," as in to open your mind to allow new things to be experienced.

Yes, opening your mind or getting rid of the bad stuff and bringing in the good/new stuff. Kinda like changing the oil in your car.