• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Video kata and bunkai - Kosokunsho

BlackSilver

Hi everyone, i'm an italian guy,im 18 and i'm practicing karate Shito Ryu since I was 7.

I'would like to post a video of me and my team performing a kata with bunkai. The kata is Kosokun sho.

It's always nice to hear opinions of other people.

I hope you'll appreciate.I'm the first on the left.

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=y3UoqJICmik

Thank you everyone anyway =).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thank you very much =)

We are working as a team from june 2006.

The kata kosokunsho and the bunkai were ready for the Shukokai karate world championship held in greece in October 2007.

It took roughly 2 or 3 months to do it "well". So for the demonstration it was yet "routine" :)

Thank you very much again ;)

I applaud you and your team, that was excellent

It makes me laugh when people say there are no locks and throws in Karate.

Keep up the excellent work

Osu!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

The performance was very sharp. Great job! I'm not one for competition so I can't tell you what to do to get higher scores.

Perhaps you can help me though. What style or organization was that competition for? Would solo kata competitors also have to demonstrate bunkai? What is the purpose to of demonstrating bunkai? Is it to show your knowledge of the bunkai or show more physical ability?

Now for a tip and perhaps you do this already. At your dojo have a fresh new student attack you and apply your bunkai to them. Give them no specifics other than what type of attack to give you. Tell them nothing of what stance to use or any other stylist preferences a usual karateka prefers to use. On the street not everyone lunges in at you in a perfect forward stance or punches in a perfect straight live. There are other differences also. Going through a variety of different people that are uninitiated in the martial arts or just barely and being able to accommodate each person with their own unique form to do the same attack and still effectively apply your bunkai shows a lot more mastery of your technique. Sorry if you can't use this for competition. Its important to remember that once your competition days are over your need for practical ability for self defense only grows.

Keep training hard and smart!

Primarily thank you very much for your comment =)

This was just a demonstration we did in the middle of a kata and kumite competition for CSEN. Anyway, in competitions the bunkai should be done to demonstrate the knowledge of the kata and its effective application, but becoming "sport" too many times refrees prefer to see acrobatic techiniques (that someone who is a little bit smart wouldn't use in a real fight) than more simple and effective techniques. So I can say, for sure, that our bunkai is a little more "realistic" than many others i've seen even if I wouldn't use the techniques I do in the bunkai in a real fight. The reason why we do this, is because our sensei doesn't want to see "science fiction" bunkai but if we do partecipate to a competition our aim is, obviously to win, so we got to adapt to what the refrees want to see.

For the second part of your post, I agree completely with you. Everything you said is right. This is only the sportiv face of Karate, in my dojo many time is spent to practice self defence and MGA (translated in english Global Method of Selfdefence (metodo globale di autodifesa)).

My sensei always tells us: "the most simple techinique is the most effective" and in my opinion this is true: because with a Sotouke you can block almost every kind of punch, and it is so simple to do right ? :)

Thank you very much again.

I hope my poor english has been clear, for any other question or suggestion im here :)

p.s.: solo kata competitors don't have to do the bunkai.