• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need Advice

Killuminati

Well im 16 year old 5'9 and weigh 175. Always wanted to try out karate but well being perfectly honest been to busy gettin stoned. But decided to drop the joint and try it out anyway. Went to the 2 free classes for wado-ryu karate and though i like the idea of learning karate i really want to learn it, and I try as hard as a can but it just dont feel right. I know im jumpin the gun and im not tryin to seem impatient it not that im not instantly good its just like i completely lose myself in the warm ups even. Like just the walking in stance up and down the dojo soon as we turn bam im done. Like it was my second class today and a brand new 7 year old showed me right up lol and just makes me think maybe im just incapable of remembering this stuff. I got 1 week to make my decision on if im going to sign up or not what do you guys think.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, congrats on changing your life!

Second, you are no different than about 99% of everyone else that starts Karate class over the age of 14. Some of the young kids can go to one class and do things like experts but once you get a little older and can focus you think too much about each movement and make simple mistakes instead of just doing it.

My biggest problem is thinking too much about each movement and trying to analyze everything that I do. I have been training for a little over four years now and still make mistakes, sometimes even in simple things that I have done hundreds or even thousands of times.

When I started, I didn't feel right either. I didn't think I would ever feel right or be able to do it for about the first six months after I started but now after four years, it doesn't feel right, it feels awesome.

Don't give up! I am sure you can do this and remember you are replacing a bad habit with a good habit that might just change your life for the better in more ways than you can imagine.

Doug

Shodan, Shotokan Karate & 1st Kyu, Iaido

ShotokanMaster.com

ShotokanPlanet.org

Thanks im really considering it. Ive always been kinda shy and what not had trouble getting myself into things like this but i dunno it seems different.

Anyway would you happen to know where i can find like demonstrations of different katas? Specifically pinan nidan. Would be nice to practice at home but i have a bad memory and having trouble taking what i learn in class home. That and our senseis and most the black and brown belts are gone to vancouver for the world wado cup, so im just trying to copy people as best i can lol.

As said congrates on you life style change. I know how you feel I've been training constantly for four years. And some new stuff my sensei will throw at me make feel like a beinger again. Give your self some time training and it won't seem as bad. Things just feel unnatural because they are new. Just open your mind and don't pressure yourself too much, just have fun with it.

Well im 16 year old 5'9 and weigh 175. Always wanted to try out karate but well being perfectly honest been to busy gettin stoned. But decided to drop the joint and try it out anyway. Went to the 2 free classes for wado-ryu karate and though i like the idea of learning karate i really want to learn it, and I try as hard as a can but it just dont feel right. I know im jumpin the gun and im not tryin to seem impatient it not that im not instantly good its just like i completely lose myself in the warm ups even. Like just the walking in stance up and down the dojo soon as we turn bam im done. Like it was my second class today and a brand new 7 year old showed me right up lol and just makes me think maybe im just incapable of remembering this stuff. I got 1 week to make my decision on if im going to sign up or not what do you guys think.

Push yourself through it. Self discipline yourself. You'll lose motivation a lot probably during the first year or so. But drugs tend to do that to people's brains. If you can remind yourself to not give up because in the future you'll want to go back at it, and the only reason you want to give up is because you may have killed a few brain cells, than you should be able to push through it until you get the hang of it completely.

There is precious little in life that you learn by doing twice. If you got a job at McDonalds, you'd be given more than two days of training. Odds are pretty good you couldn't ride a bike on your second try. Give it time. Sometimes in the arts, things click for you when you aren't looking for it.

I agree with the others. Stay with it. After all, all you have is time, right? :) In time, it will feel like second nature to you. Feeling ackward is natrual at this point. One of the best things about the Martial Arts is that you advance at your own pace, not someone else's. After all, I don't think an instructor will kick you out because you are coming along slowly. Take your time, and enjoy it all! :karate:

Killuminati-san,

Oh to be your age again. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to practice the martial arts from a younger age.

Sign up for the Dojo and practice your kata and 2-mans every day. You WILL be a good martial artist and you WILL be a good black belt.

It is about how you set your mind!!

Also concentrate on Wado Ryu only; do not look at cross training until you are at least Shodan.

If it takes you 10 years or 4 years to get to black belt don't worry, you will have worked hard to get there

One thing though, remember, Black belt is just the beginning not the end of your training.

Good luck and keep us updated on your training

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Congrats, on the change in life! I worried the same as you when I first started, not picking up things as fast as others or not keeping up (I do not have the best coronation and I'm also very competitive), but it does come and an soon you will be right up there with the rest of the class, so do not worry about that, it will hold back. You diffently are change your life for the better so stay with it, it will come. Also take notes after class when everything is still fresh in your mind, that could help you to remember. That is what I do to remember jabanesse words for techniques. and practicing at home will help to honestly.

Oh, I remember back 5 years ago when I just started - I couldn't even perform an about turn (mawatte) properly. The first attempt at pinan nidan and I thought I'd never remember it. Perservere. Remember that you are not only learning new physical techniques, you are also learning how to learn. It will take a little while for your brain to get used to the new demands you are making on it, but it will be well worth it.

I also do wado - it's a nice style imho.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)