• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dirty Fighting?

I believe there certainly IS such a thing as dirty fighting.

1) Fighting on the street or for self defense, no holds barred - you are fighting for your life, you do what you have to, to stay ALIVE.

2) Tournament fighting: dirty fighting not normally allowed however you might have some corrupt judges and judges who are related to one of the fighters in the ring, they could *overlook* or *not see* the dirty fighting or cheaps shots taken.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, generally speaking, we all tend to agree that in the ring, you can differentiate dirty fighting tactics from clean fighting. However, on the street, no such thing.

Yeah, going home at the end of the conflict is the priority. Not worrying about esoteric concepts of fairness and honor. I even think we worry too much about lawsuits and such.

Everyone who trains should certainly be aware of laws surrounding use of force decisions. Familiarity prior to a conflict will ensure that you've dealt with these issues already and won't have to sort it out mid-fight.

But given that, I see way too many cops hurt because they didn't use a high enough force option to protect themselvs. Most of the time in these cases I usually hear "I didn't want to get sued" thown out in the post incident debreif. If it happens to trained law enforcement personell, then it will happen to civians as well.

Above all else, it's being able to survive that counts above all.

Very true, tallgeese. If you are in a fight, then you have to committ yourself if you throw something. I have seen this happen in videos of the use of the ASP or other impact weapons. They end up pulling up on the swing, instead of following though. Can't do that.

Yeah, going home at the end of the conflict is the priority. Not worrying about esoteric concepts of fairness and honor. I even think we worry too much about lawsuits and such.

Everyone who trains should certainly be aware of laws surrounding use of force decisions. Familiarity prior to a conflict will ensure that you've dealt with these issues already and won't have to sort it out mid-fight.

But given that, I see way too many cops hurt because they didn't use a high enough force option to protect themselvs. Most of the time in these cases I usually hear "I didn't want to get sued" thown out in the post incident debreif. If it happens to trained law enforcement personell, then it will happen to civians as well.

Above all else, it's being able to survive that counts above all.

When I was in high school, I saw someone get tackled and having the back of his head beat in. He wasn't doing anything in reply. At first I thought it was because he was shook and off guard. So I jumped in, pulled them apart, and put the attacker in a parallel armbar/wristlock and held him there until the school's resource officer showed up. The next day, the victim came up to me and thanked me for helping him. He told me the only reason he didn't fight back is because New York State law sees him on equal terms as the attacker should he throw a punch back. Basically, if he defended himself, he would go to jail too. That's the wrongest of the wrong (as far as self defense laws go). To this day, I don't know how I wasn't punished for stepping in, but I'm glad I didn't get punished. Anyway, I told the victim to not be worried about punishments. I told him to be ready to defend himself on the street and in the courts at all times. His health is more important than anything that could happen as far as his self defense punishments. As for me, I'm always keeping an eye opent for opportunities to right wrongs like that in the legal system.

Good move for you to dive in, BB of C. And I agree with your musing on the being ready on the street and for the courts.

Even if two get arrested, it doesn't mean that the judge can't drop some of the charges, if you can state your case well.