• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Using blocking techniques

That depends. A lot of people for some reason are taught to block with both hands, which does leave you open. We're always taught to keep our other hand up in guard, ready to respond to any other attacks coming.

Also when you do block someone you usually open up targets on them as much as yourself. An outwards block for example moves their arm out from their body and exposes their head and chest, perfect setup for a counter.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I am a "natural" blocker, so I don't understand the criticism sometimes directed at them... The important thing in a fight, or sparring, is to deflect the opponents strike, rather than to perform a perfect technique.

Use your peripheral vision to be aware of stuff coming from all sides and angles, and if you need to block, be fast and instinctive. Let your arm throw the first block it wants, without thinking about it, or consciously trying to "perfect" the technique or select a specific blocking technique like "outer middle block", because if you do you'll be too slow.

Once done, don't look down at the blocked strike. Keep your eyes forward and alert, and snap your arm straight back into a raised guard.

Once you "get it" it is indeed possible to block a whole barrage of punches. Practise, practise, slow and accurate. Fight - fast and fluid.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

-"Train like you fight, fight like you train"

Don't you believe there is any value in doing techniques slowly to work on form and accuracy?

I don't see how I could practise my blocking technique "exactly as I fight"... stuff has to be flying at me for it to work.

I think particularly with blocks there is some value in practising the "long form" so to speak, with full sweep of the arm. This lets you see the full theoretical area of defense this move could cover, and later in a fight you can throw it from any position, adapting as necessary.

Train like you fight, fight like you train.......... I can understand this maybe when you are more advanced but when you are still learning, the form and acuracy seem pretty important while at the same time to really learn to use the blocks correctly I feel I need to "train like I fight". This is my frustration. I think G95champ said it pretty well relating it to learning to write

"I think G95champ said it pretty well relating it to learning to write"

Okay, so I'm a native English speaker, who can read and write to an advanced level. I've been writing for a long time, do it instinctively, and my handwriting IS legible. But is it really good? No... its often sloppy, characters are badly formed, and I have a bad habit of going over them again, which only ever makes them less legible. Many people, once they lapse ito their "natural" handwriting style, only get worse and less legible, not better - the proverbial "doctor's writing".

How would I improve my handwriting? By continuing to practise "as I write normally"? No - I've been doing that for years. I'm not going to get better at writing just by doing more of it, at this stage of my life.

I'd have to start again, very slowly, to master a better script, and consciously trying to form each letter properly, write smoothly, without indicisive strokes or blotches caused by hesitation. I'd be writing a lot slower for a while, with care that I don't lapse back into my old scrawl in a rush.

• 1 month later...
In Ninjutsu we do not block at all, rather we simply move out of the way. The secret in this art lies in the legs. Very fluid, and you end up either right close to the opponent (which limits his reaction possibilities) with a fist slamming his floating ribs, or off to one side which forces him to shift his center of balance to meet you again by which time you can do some serious damage to him. Avoidance probably takes less practice to become good at than blocking.

Simple motto to train by:

Train like you fight, fight like you train.

That says it all....

Pete

i spose this could be good for more advanced training to perfect an already learnt techneque but not when your still learning. learn it then fight with it.

Our style teaches applications for the basic blocks beyond simple percussive attacks. Remember that in a real fight you may be hit with more than just fists & feet. Basic blocks are just that - basics. I would make sure your instructor can give you reasons for why you are doing them, and also give you the key points on the blocks (and explain why they are key points) - that will help you train & develop for whatever your style holds as more advanced applications.

Hope this helps

Thanks

B

Think of it like learning to write When you are in Second Grade learing to make the letters you think Ill never write like this. However by the time you are in High School it is second nature. You have naturally added your own twist to each letter and made it your own. Martial Arts is the same way.

This is very true. If you don't believe the writing analogy, try writing with your opposite hand. You really have to think about it. Kind of like when you first learned how to block. Soon it will become part of you and it will be second nature.

I just hope my blocks are better than my handwriting!LOL! :D

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.