• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Using blocking techniques

I have been learning martial arts for about five months now and I was wondering, in a real self-defense situation do you think you would use the blocking techniques like you learn in class. I feel like I wouldn't because things happen fast. It seems to me that in order to use them effectively, you need repetitive practice with someone comeing at you to do real damage and you use a particular technique over and over. Am I just not patient enough? Does this come in time?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Mr. Man. With lots of practice, it'll come. Just don't give up. I used to be the same way, prolly worse than you. I was good at blocking with my face in sparring when I started. The important thing is for you right now, is keep your hands up. It makes it easier to block (quicker I mean), because your hands are ready. If you "dangle" your hands, you would have to bring them up then block. So if you keep them up (kinda like boxers do protecting the chin), it'll be much faster. And with patientance and practice, you'll be a pro at it :smile:

Laurie F

Depends. Not all martial arts will teach effective methods of blocking, so maybe not all of the blocks you study could be used. However, a whole slew of blocks are effective and will be used in a fight. Practice hard. Patience. It WON'T happen in under a year. Don't expect to be proficient in the art until you've given yourself plenty of time. 5mos. is new, so don't feel frustrated. Time, patience, and hard practice. If you don't put the effort you won't get the reward. Like the old adage, "you reap what you sow."

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

First off, what style of martial art do you study and what types of blocks are you talking about? Not all blocks are the same, and not all can be used in the same circumstances. For example, I would NOT take the same approach of blocking with a bareknuckle fight as with an attacker with a knife.

I find that the inner and outer blocks are useless in sparring, therefore I would not use it on the street in a fight. Sparring is not the same as a real situation on the street, but it does give you a chance to try what technique work, what needs to be done to get this affect and that reaction. With five months, in general, you should have a basic ideal of what works and what does not.

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

I am in TKD and I'm talking about the basic blocks. When I spar, I use my hands to block everything because you have to react fast and the blocking techniques just don't come to mind that fast. I block very well with my hands but I want to learn the (whole art) and do things right. It sounds like I just need to give myself more time and keep learning.

Mr. Man.

I do TKD and I know what you're talking about. Yes, give yourself time, and practice hard. Everything takes practice and patience. Just keep at it, and don't get frustrated. In time, you'll get better :smile:

Laurie F

As with so many other things its purely down to repetition. A while ago someone swung a punch at me and without thinking about it I just blocked. I was so impressed that I hadn't had to think that I was almost nailed by his second punch, but managed to dodge away at the last second.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

Yeah you will.

I Espically use the down and rising blocks however they will have more of a natural swing to them instead of the robot like motion you do in class.

With time you develpe speed and it becomes a reaction and you find yourself doing blocks without thinking. There is always a reason for doing a techinque.

Think of it like learning to write When you are in Second Grade learing to make the letters you think Ill never write like this. However by the time you are in High School it is second nature. You have naturally added your own twist to each letter and made it your own. Martial Arts is the same way.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I don't know much about TKD blocking.

but, I don't really like blocks. The only thing I block is my left jaw by tucking my chin into my shoulder and my right jaw by covering it with my hand, keep my elbows tucked in tight to my ribcage when on the defensive. The only other block I employ is with my shin for kicks. Ideally, it's best not to be there at all.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

A rule of thumb I try and teach is don't block what will not hurt you This is why I don't compete in point sparring LOL. However lots of times blocking will leave you open. A good fighter will set you up.

Im sort of like Bon in that I take a lot of shots because I am a big guy and can.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."