• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Returning to Karate.

karatejock

Hi there Ninja Nurse i would guess that your city is marginally bigger than our wee city lol and you probably have a hundred times more MA clubs than wee do, what a coincedence, whats the history between your city and ours are there any references to dundee scotland?.

Im hoping to go back to karate in a couple of weeks, just getting the fitness levels up first.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Karatejock first off Idont thinm its ever too late to start training.

Just remember your probably not going to be able to keep up with the younger students, so takeit slow and listen to your body,it will tell you when your overdoing it.

Good luck! :karate:

Semper Fi , Dave

Thank you Beast i certainly will take it easy i get out of breath jumping to a conclusion at the moment LOL, no seriously ive been running to work in the mornings but know when to stop when i feel uncomfortable or start getting a stitch.

Im going to ease myself back in to things slowly, cant wait to go to my first class again, its going to be strange to see people i was with there before all on higher grades than me know.

Im going to ease myself back in to things slowly, cant wait to go to my first class again, its going to be strange to see people i was with there before all on higher grades than me know.

It was after my children started that I decided to make the commitment, and that was this year. I'm 56; the assistant instructor is 45; the chief instructor is 25. I'm very glad I started karate, and I have an online article published if you have the time to read it, "Age Is Just a Number," at Tang Soo Do World. The URL is:

http://www.tangsoodoworld.com

Just click on the Articles tab at the top and the article's title will be easy to spot.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Hi Joe what a brilliant article and very inspiring to, well done to you and your two sons you must be very proud of them?

As you say Joe "age is just a number" and you like other people on here have encouraged me to go out there and do my best.

Thank you, and good luck in the future to you and your sons for furthering your grades.

KarateJock-san

I wish you look on your journey, forget the when I'm fit enough excuse and just get started. If I had a £1 for everyone who said 'I'll come training with you once I'm fit enough' I'd be quite wealthy now.

Your Instructor will work with you to get the required fitness levels for each Grading

With regards to Shotokan or Wado, I would go with Wado only because I like it better and Bunkai (application of Kata) is more realistic.

But if your Shotokan Sensei works with Bunkai around the kata that is realistic, then stay with Shotokan.

I am waiting as with the rest of us for you to tell us how your first class back to training went.

Osu!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

With regards to Shotokan or Wado, I would go with Wado only because I like it better and Bunkai (application of Kata) is more realistic.

But if your Shotokan Sensei works with Bunkai around the kata that is realistic, then stay with Shotokan.

Osu!!!!

Ahh Dobbersky a man after my own heart, although of course, strictly speaking Wado does not use the process of Bunkai!

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Don't worry you're not too old, there are plenty people who started at an older age than you and also plenty people older than you that still train.

What I do, is that I allow enough time to stretch, pay attention to the way your body feels and reacts to different moves...cool down after class.

Most of all, don't gauge or compare your training to the 20 somethings....just be YOU !

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I think you will be great. It wont take you long to get right back in and you will be able to keep up with all the others. By the way, I wouldn't worry about what the people at your school will think when you go back. I bet you will see alot of new faces and few familiar ones. Life happens. People cannot always continue their journey in one long run. Sometims they take a break. But if they love the Martial Arts, they always go back. They will welcome you with open arms.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.