• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Returning to Karate.

karatejock

Hi everyone just joined this Forum yesterday, and i have to say its probably the best forum i have been on so far, i am also on other Non MA related forums to e.g. Ice Skating and Ice Hockey forums.

My main question is i have been away from Karate for about 3 years due to work and new arrivals in the family, and i was just wanting to know if now at the age of 40 i am to old to continue the wonderfull Art of Shotokan Karate, i left at the grade of Orange Belt and deeply regret leaving the wonderful club i attended in Dundee Scotland, i have recently started to keep myself fit again in the hoping that i could return,

Any advice from you more experienced Guy and Gals would be much appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard and it's good that you're back in the ma's. I'm a relitive newcomer to the boards here as well and you will find that it is an excellent community.

As for starting back, I'd say just go for it. More people have fallen into the "when I'm in shape" trap than I can count. Just get into it and it will start to work itself out. I know how new family additions can seriously derail training. Try to set aside time to work out that's acceptable to you, signifigant other, and allows time with the new ones. That being said, be flexable and be preparded to adjust. You may have to get used to working more solo training (often at odd hours).

Still, it's doable. Keep at it and keep us posted.

Thankyou Tallgeese for your words of encouragement i am going to take your advice on this and practice when i can, even if it is strange hours.

Ive started by jogging halfway and walking halfway to work, its a start anyway, and ive got out all my old karate books and started my stretching exercises and learning my Basic moves again.

Ive just started a new job so on my first pay i am going to be Joining my old Karate School again, hopefully they will welcome me back and not be annoyed at me leaving in the first place.

I will keep you posted with my progress.

It is never to late to get in shape again I started shotokan at the age of 31,I was not in the best of shape but I was not in really bad shape, just take it slow and listen to body. I wish you luck.

Thank you everyone for you kind replys, and well done Jasaan you have definatley inspired me and encouraged me to return to an art that i really loved.

i will let you all know how i progress :)

Wado's better :)

In all seriousness, if you can find a good "Wado-Ryu" club in your area - at your age - that's what I would do.

The SKF (Scottish Karate-do Federation) is headed by Hamish Adam and Colin Clapperton.

Two absolutley top men (and super hard).

https://www.skfscotland.co.uk

Give them a go, you will not be disappointed.

Z

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

As for starting back, I'd say just go for it. More people have fallen into the "when I'm in shape" trap than I can count. Just get into it and it will start to work itself out.

I concur here. I have a friend that works Defensive Tactics and Combat Hapkido with me, but he started out in our Taekwondo class. He says that he will come back to TKD sometime, when he gets his forms back down, or something. I keep telling him that he won't unless he gets back into class.

Just go. Get it started now. You won't regret it, thats for sure.

Welcome to KF. :karate:

Thank you Bushido and Zanshin for your help, i dont think we have a Wado-Ryu Club in Dundee if anybody else reading this does know of one please let me Know.

I am really pleased and amazed at the friendlyness and positivness shown on this forum, there doesnt seem to be one bit of negativity amongst any members (apart from myself) its just lack of confidence on my behalf at going back to something i have been away from for a long time.

Thank you once again guys it is very much appreciated.