• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why most people retire at shodan?

I think there is a significant perspective shift at shodan. Up until that point, it's very easy to chase external goals in the form of rank, tournament wins, etc.

Once shodan occurs, the ranking and such slows down. Successful students must turn toward internal goals such as self perfection and exploration of deeper aspects of their art.

If the attachment to external goals is strong enough, they don't have to make that switch...but usually the hollowness of it catches up sooner or later.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a significant perspective shift at shodan. Up until that point, it's very easy to chase external goals in the form of rank, tournament wins, etc.

You might be interpreted as referring to a kind of immaturity, Ikigai. I think of how so many children take a martial art, say karate in particular. They can't really think in the same terms as adults, so rewards such as stripes on their white belts (if really young, like my six-year-olds), or many differently colored belts (I learned from one of my freshman students [i teach high school] that she takes karate, and I she went through a long list of belt colors that her school uses for those who are, say, ages 10-14), are their motivators. That's not a bad thing; it fits the mindset of such a young person.

Once shodan occurs, the ranking and such slows down. Successful students must turn toward internal goals such as self perfection and exploration of deeper aspects of their art.

I noticed that you said "must turn," like a psychological need that the level of maturity, in this case a maturity measured not simply by age but by dan progression as well, demands. Do you suggest, Ikigai, arriving at self-fulfillment or self-actualization through the art?

If the attachment to external goals is strong enough, they don't have to make that switch...but usually the hollowness of it catches up sooner or later.

Sounds like a philosophical observation as much as a psychological one. It's very perceptive.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Joe,

Yes I think you hit the nail on the head! Thank you for responding to my post.

Your example of children thinking differently than adults and responding to belts is exactly the kind of thing I was referring to. And I agree - it's not a bad thing at all as it keeps the children actively involved.

But, on the flip side, it's also the same reason why many of the older styles of martial arts didn't award black belts to children; the kids simply didn't have the means of understanding the life-and-death severity of their art, not to mention the philosophical depth.

To answer your question under the second quote, I do believe that pursuing self-actualization is an innate part of many arts. You'll often hear that certain arts pursue the perfection of body-mind-spirit, which is a sister concept to self-actualization. Of course, this pursuit is not strictly necessary - but I do believe a lack of it is why many people feel no need to pursue martial arts past shodan. They've learned the techniques and come to the end of that 'road.'

best regards.

To answer your question under the second quote, I do believe that pursuing self-actualization is an innate part of many arts. You'll often hear that certain arts pursue the perfection of body-mind-spirit, which is a sister concept to self-actualization. Of course, this pursuit is not strictly necessary - but I do believe a lack of it is why many people feel no need to pursue martial arts past shodan. They've learned the techniques and come to the end of that 'road.'

I do not pursue the total mind-body-spirit aspect of the Martial Arts, yet I still continue in my participation. For me now, it is more about continuing education, I guess. I like to learn, and like to work on perfecting what I have so far. In the end, I feel it is up to the student to decide what they are trying to achieve, and to work towards it, be it physically, mentally, or spiritually.

I do not pursue the total mind-body-spirit aspect of the Martial Arts, yet I still continue in my participation.

I don't know if you really have a choice here. You may not subscribe to the whole "spirituality" aspect that some do, but that's not the only place where the mind-body-spirit connection comes in.

I explain to my students that when you are training hard and your body doesn't want to go on and your mind is having trouble focusing, it's your spirit that pushes you forward.

I do not pursue the total mind-body-spirit aspect of the Martial Arts, yet I still continue in my participation.

I don't know if you really have a choice here. You may not subscribe to the whole "spirituality" aspect that some do, but that's not the only place where the mind-body-spirit connection comes in.

I explain to my students that when you are training hard and your body doesn't want to go on and your mind is having trouble focusing, it's your spirit that pushes you forward.

Well, that could be, too.

Good points Ikigai. I recently had this conversation with a young student of mine (13) who I decided to hold back from testing (they will now have to wait 6 more months for another shot). In spite of what I hammer into the heads of my students about "after" black belt, etc., she admitted to me that her goal was to only get her Black Belt -therefore she was extremely disappointed that she would have to wait 6 more months for her "prize". After some thoughtful discussion she agreed that maybe she should re-evaluate her goals and look for more out of her training. It makes me think about how different kids really do think especially in today's climate of instant gratification.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

It's definitely a maturity thing.

I first made black belt at the age of 21. In the months leading up to the exam, I significantly increased my training focusing all my energy on what I needed to do to get that belt. During the exam, I incurred a minor injury. I came to a few classes after the exam to show off my new belt, but ultimately used the injury as an excuse to take some time off. It took me 5 years to come back.

When I was 35, I moved and started in a new dojo (as a white belt). This time around, I focused on training only. I trained the same way whether there was an exam coming up or not. I even purposely stalled myself at brown belt for 2 years.

My philosophy had become that I would rather be a brown belt that everyone thought should be a black belt than a black belt that everyone thinks should be a brown belt.

I finally did push to get my black belt so that I could start teaching.

for most shodan is it, yes. but you can usually tell who will stay based on their want to teach. because when you get down to it martial arts is mostly about passing the traditions of your art on to others, keeping the art alive. so those that strive to pass on the art will be the ones who will progress as high as they can, not just for themselves but so they can pass on as much as possible to their students.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

My philosophy had become that I would rather be a brown belt that everyone thought should be a black belt than a black belt that everyone thinks should be a brown belt.

That is a solid philosophy. Its always good to have higher expectations of yourself than others do.