• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a question knock me down

thanks for the comments! for my own excuse of keep on training is martial art has become part of my life. without martial art is living without life for me. i will answer my friend properly with good answer this time if my friend ask the same question again. Osu!!

Jumping kicks must have a reason, to cover distance, or to take down a mounted opponent.

Jook-Am blackbelt 2nd dan pattern

GTF Taekwondo

Chinese Kick Boxing Junior Learner

https://www.sonkal.cz

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This argument, while somewhat true, is preposterous.

If I am somewhere and get into an altercation (forget how my training may allow me to all together avoid an altercation). I should simply whip out my gun and shoot the other person?

This argument, while somewhat true, is preposterous.

If I am somewhere and get into an altercation (forget how my training may allow me to all together avoid an altercation). I should simply whip out my gun and shoot the other person?

I think that it is more along the lines of "what good will your Martial Arts training do you if I pull a gun on you" kind of question.

But, I gather your point from the other view, as well.

Most people who ask this question can not fully appreciate the response because they have never tried the martial arts. I am glad I have taken Martial Arts most of my life. Yes the self defense I have learned may get me out of alot of situations. No, I am not faster than a bullet. Martial Arts is a way of life. I can't fully explain the love I have for it, but I have invited a few nay sayers to try it themselves. I have found their negativity keeps them from trying alot of things.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Most people who ask this question can not fully appreciate the response because they have never tried the martial arts. . . .

I have found their negativity keeps them from trying alot of things.

I see two points here, Tori.

As I interpret the "bullet responders," they don't know what they are talking about because they haven't experienced it, and it is very likely that they have never taken a martial art based on their own fears (such as not being able to do it, or do it well, or even that they'll be hurt in the dojang), and even mundane procrastination. By presenting an overwhelming situation (the bullet), they justify themselves.

And I believe you're right that such an attitude permeates their lives regarding other things never attempted. ("Why bother? What's the use . . .")

An interesting group, the bullet responders, in that they utilize the straw man argument. They misrepresent what you say/do (in this case, that martial arts makes you invincible, which you never maintained), then knock it down (the bullet) with a comment that the misrepresentation (the straw man) could never hold up against.

You did make a third point, Tori, about your love of the martial arts. Such people do not understand because they do not want to understand; they do not want to feel they are missing out on anything. It's good that you do have that love.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Most everyone beat me to the punch.

My favorites are asking them if they have the gun on them.

What about all the places they can't carry a gun?

Does every threat that you must respond to with violence require killing?

Those are aside from the reasons of enjoyment that cause me to train. Those are the reasons that I have that mean the most, but are the ones that people asking the "why not a gun" question respect the least, at least in most cases.

This, despite a Springfield and a couple of archaic Colts that would put me in fine standing if need be. I just like the options.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I find that no one really understands a martial artist except another martial artist. Quite simply, some people play golf, some watch baseball; some like tennis; we practice martial arts.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Most people who ask this question can not fully appreciate the response because they have never tried the martial arts. . . .

I have found their negativity keeps them from trying alot of things.

I see two points here, Tori.

As I interpret the "bullet responders," they don't know what they are talking about because they haven't experienced it, and it is very likely that they have never taken a martial art based on their own fears (such as not being able to do it, or do it well, or even that they'll be hurt in the dojang), and even mundane procrastination. By presenting an overwhelming situation (the bullet), they justify themselves.

And I believe you're right that such an attitude permeates their lives regarding other things never attempted. ("Why bother? What's the use . . .")

An interesting group, the bullet responders, in that they utilize the straw man argument. They misrepresent what you say/do (in this case, that martial arts makes you invincible, which you never maintained), then knock it down (the bullet) with a comment that the misrepresentation (the straw man) could never hold up against.

This is a very good response. I like your approach here.

Here is a comeback that I thought of just recently to use: The use and practice of firearms is a form of Martial Arts training.....