• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm competing in my first Tournament next weekend.

Ozpunker

Looking good. :up: I'm gonna comment from a TKD point of view...

To me, your guard looks a little more open than in your first videos. It just cries out for a roundhouse to the body. I would bring the rear arm forward and down just slightly to close off more of the mid section. Because of the side on stance you use, the main sort of attacks you will be looking to defend will be kicks and punches to the front and a roundhouse type kick to the right hand side. I'm guessing you wont be getting many kicks to the high section so you can afford to drop your right arm and cover up your torso a bit more. Then your left arm can still take care of your head and left side. Your right punches will be coming from a bit lower though so you'd have to work on a bit more speed to get them in there.

You also seem to have a little bit of what I call "chicken winging" (don't ask :D). When you kick, your left arm goes upwards and exposes your ribs on your left, (see 0:44, 1:14 and 1:17). Although it protects your head, its a great opportunity for you to be punched in the ribs as you go in. If you can, try to hold your guard where it is to stop exposing yourself and because it acts as a tell. Seems to happen slightly on some of the punches too.

I'm with bushido_man96 on the front legs. Your punches are good but because its the punch on its own and you are out of distance, you can see them coming. Even if they don't score, closing the distance with a leg would be better as then you can fire out with the arms once you are in range. Combining a couple of punches too would be a little better as you tend to do one technique and then back off. What you did at 1:19 and 1:33 was real good so try to see if you can work the combos a little more :).

One thing I noticed about your opponent is that once he does those front kicks he puts his foot down and tries to push back (e.g. 0:30). That would be the tme to throw the roundhouse and take the fight in.

Overall pretty impressive though especially seeing as it was your second tourny. :karate:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good. :up: I'm gonna comment from a TKD point of view...

To me, your guard looks a little more open than in your first videos. It just cries out for a roundhouse to the body. I would bring the rear arm forward and down just slightly to close off more of the mid section. Because of the side on stance you use, the main sort of attacks you will be looking to defend will be kicks and punches to the front and a roundhouse type kick to the right hand side. I'm guessing you wont be getting many kicks to the high section so you can afford to drop your right arm and cover up your torso a bit more. Then your left arm can still take care of your head and left side. Your right punches will be coming from a bit lower though so you'd have to work on a bit more speed to get them in there.

You also seem to have a little bit of what I call "chicken winging" (don't ask :D). When you kick, your left arm goes upwards and exposes your ribs on your left, (see 0:44, 1:14 and 1:17). Although it protects your head, its a great opportunity for you to be punched in the ribs as you go in. If you can, try to hold your guard where it is to stop exposing yourself and because it acts as a tell. Seems to happen slightly on some of the punches too.

I'm with bushido_man96 on the front legs. Your punches are good but because its the punch on its own and you are out of distance, you can see them coming. Even if they don't score, closing the distance with a leg would be better as then you can fire out with the arms once you are in range. Combining a couple of punches too would be a little better as you tend to do one technique and then back off. What you did at 1:19 and 1:33 was real good so try to see if you can work the combos a little more :).

One thing I noticed about your opponent is that once he does those front kicks he puts his foot down and tries to push back (e.g. 0:30). That would be the tme to throw the roundhouse and take the fight in.

Overall pretty impressive though especially seeing as it was your second tourny. :karate:

aha chicken wings.. I've been working on that.. It's something that I have noticed before. It's hard for me to pick when I do it, so at training I ask the guys to let me know when I do it, or give me a good roundhouse... I learned the harder way earlier tonight lol.

One thing that myself and other lower ranks have been told is to follow up on attacks. I've been working on that too. I usually throw a few singles to see how they will react. Plus with that last lots in the vid, I only needed one point to win.... I wasn't going to stop until I got it lol.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys.

OK, not bad for a first tournament. And you look very typical for your experience level. Let me mention a couple of things, if I may.

There is nothing wrong with having a limited arsenal from which to draw your techniques. Some of the best fighters I ever saw only used a couple, ever.

One thing that I would like to mention about your reverse punch is this. You look like you are trying to get your reverse punch in without really commiting yourself to it. So when you throw the punch, you are stretched way out there. This leaves big openings for either a counter punch or a faster punch than yours. You ate them both.

Now, what to do? Go back to class and try this one little thing. Keep your guard up as you move in. Keep moving in till you are REALLY close and then unload it. Now keep moving off to his back corner and away to the side.

Notice that I want you to use his corners and move to the side? Your match was very linear. Straight in, straight out. Work the angles and move around a lot more. Relax.

I could go on but you don't need me to pile on you. All in all, it was better than not.

Thanks for the video.

Jeff