• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm competing in my first Tournament next weekend.

Ozpunker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not until after watching these that I realised . . .

I saw a young man go in there and give the first time he's been in a tournament a really good shot. It's called courage. Having videos only increases your ability to pinpoint weak spots to work on, and, with the help of your instructor's input, determine where you were strong in order to continue to grow.

This was, as you said, Ozpunker, your first tournament, not your only tournament. Compare the videos in the next one with this one, and you'll realize the difference even a hint of experience makes.

Congratulations on walking out on that floor, looking your opponent square in the eye, and making him fight for every point he received.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Judging from the videos of the point fights, you have some things that you can build on. It all comes with time, though. Try working on some front leg kicks, like some side kicks to stop their advance on you. Things like that. Look at their openings, and train from there.

Judging from the videos of the point fights, you have some things that you can build on. It all comes with time, though. Try working on some front leg kicks, like some side kicks to stop their advance on you. Things like that. Look at their openings, and train from there.

Thanks. I forgot to mention before. One of the purposes of posting these vids is so I can get some feedback. From these I can see where I went wrong (holding guard too low, repetitive kicks with no follow up strikes etc). If you notice anything else please tell me, you won't hurt my feelings lol. The more critical you can be the better I can learn from it.

I already have my next tournament planned for next month. I'm going to put the full contact on hold until I can condition myself better for it.

I noticed that your guard dropped as you kicked. I think this comes from trying to gain momentum for the kick. It happens a lot with beginners. One of the things I will make some of my younger students do is hold onto their uniform lapels, or even their ears, as they kick. It helps to keep them in place. It also prevents telegraph.

Ok, I love breaking down fight footage so here goes.

First off, great job. It was your first time out and you did real well.

Next, bushido man's right. You're hands are going down each time you commit with a kick. Keep 'em. I like the covering the head always, but alot will be determined by the ruleset of the tourney.

I'd also get more comfortable throwing punches in combination. You get a few going in your second pt fight. That's good. Make that action almost automatic as you crash kicks.

Jab, often and always. If you can't make head contact make them to the upper body. Just keep them out there, throw in the occassional back fist if you can hit to the side of the headgear. Jabs make the other guy think twice about closing too aggressivly.

Now, when you tie up, keep the pressure on. Get used to exchanging flurries even if you're not winnning points for them. This will make the guy wonder about tying up too close anymore. Keep him worried about your hands so you can capatilze on your feet.

By the way, for your rank your feet are working for you real well. Keep trying to capatialze on them. You can do this by making him think about your hands a bit more.

Too keep him from getting to comfortable kicking your body, try to parry or block the incoimng mid-height kicks with your elbows. It lets you keep your hands up and can really hurt his shin. This means he's less likely to throw them with abandon.

Lastly, circling can't be overstated. You do it in there a bit already, so try to optimize it. Try not to get causght going strait back, this makes it easier for him to chase you.

Still, just my breakdown. Also, in fairness, the point game was never my strong suit so take it with a grain of salt. As for the full-contact. You did way better than you think you did. Practice circling, flurries and work on mindest and you can easily stand with that guy, seriously.

Again, real nice job and keep at it.

I thought the full contact looked ok, too. In full contact, when you get close, use uppercuts and hook punches to the body with no remorse. Make 'em sorry they closed with you. That guy fought with his hands way down low; he reminded me of an Olympic TKDer like that. Use that to your advantage. When he prepares to kick, try to jam him, and then unleash the hounds on the body. When he backs away, finish with a kick, maybe to the head.

• 4 weeks later...

I had my second tournament yesterday. I went alot better this time. I only had one fight because there were only two of us in my division. I won 5-3. I decided not to enter full contact this time.. only point sparring. Here's the video...

I'm in the red headgear.

let me know If you see anyway I can improve. Thanks in advance fellas.

Try to use your front leg to attack more. Practice firing that kick off as an opponent comes in. Then, you can use it to set up other attacks off your back leg. A front thrust kick, or a front leg side kick from a more sideways stance are good ones to practice, and if you are taller, it allows you to use your leg length to your advantage.

Keep up the good work! Congrats on the win! :karate: