• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm competing in my first Tournament next weekend.

Ozpunker

I started going to the optional tournament class at Karate mainly to work on my speed and coordination but ended up being really confident in point sparring. Only a few guys do this extra class. The instructor says I've improved heaps and one guy who hasn't been to that class in a while says he needs to come back if my performance is any indication of the training we get.

My club is hosting a tournament next weekend and everyone form the club is encouraged to participate. I'm going in point sparring and continuous sparring (Full contact, punches to body only, kicks anywhere above waist). I'm so excited I think that everyone is sick of me talking about it.

For a while I was worried about being nervous and screwing up in front of everyone but a few weeks ago our head instructor organised a demo fight at the local biker club (I know it sounds weird, but it was a charity event lol.) I fought in front of a whole bunch of loud biker guys with no problems so I don't think nerves will take hold of me next week.

Because I'm so excited I've invited everyone I know, and now I just hope I don;t look stupid in front of everyone.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jut keep breathing, keep fighting, and ignore the spectators, you'll be fine. Good luck.

I started going to the optional tournament class at Karate mainly to work on my speed and coordination but ended up being really confident in point sparring. Only a few guys do this extra class. The instructor says I've improved heaps and one guy who hasn't been to that class in a while says he needs to come back if my performance is any indication of the training we get.

My club is hosting a tournament next weekend and everyone form the club is encouraged to participate. I'm going in point sparring and continuous sparring (Full contact, punches to body only, kicks anywhere above waist). I'm so excited I think that everyone is sick of me talking about it.

For a while I was worried about being nervous and screwing up in front of everyone but a few weeks ago our head instructor organised a demo fight at the local biker club (I know it sounds weird, but it was a charity event lol.) I fought in front of a whole bunch of loud biker guys with no problems so I don't think nerves will take hold of me next week.

Because I'm so excited I've invited everyone I know, and now I just hope I don;t look stupid in front of everyone.

Best of luck!

Not until after watching these that I realised how sloppy my fighting was on the day. I guess the nerves did get to me. I kept dropping my guard and kept doing the same few moves over and over. I'm the yellow belt with black headgear.

I lost this fight only by one point.

I went really poorly in this full contact. wayyyy out of my league here. I ended up forfeiting because that kick nearly knocked me out. I quit before I got too hurt. It wasn't until later that I realised that I was fighting guys from divisions higher than me. I've only been training for about 8 months and this guy has been training for up to 2 years.