• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Ni Sente Nashi-There is no first attack in Karate...

bushido_man96

This is a very popular mazim in Karate and other MAs. How do you interpret this maxim, and how does it affect your training?

I don't interpret it literally. I don't feel that an MAist should wait to be struck before acting. In fact, if a strike is being thrown, then it should be evident that there was likely a level of danger already present to relegate a pre-emptive strike.

I wanted to hear what everyone else felt about this ideal in MA training.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like it means that martial artists are not supposed to take the first swing. And in that, say that someone were to take a swing (not necissarily meaning connecting), as long as that fist is in the air, that was the opponent's first attack and now we intercept it with our technique. That would be the second attack.

I agree with you bushdo man, no this guy doesent' get to hit me first. He might not even get to try.

I think you have to take the totality of the circumstance in mind here. How did he approach you? What is the context of your contact? His body posture? Ect. All in all, circumstances could dictate that he "attacked you" before he even threw a physical blow.

I would personally take this as an adomonshiment not to go looking for trouble now that one has skill in unarmed combat.

I feel like it means that martial artists are not supposed to take the first swing. And in that, say that someone were to take a swing (not necissarily meaning connecting), as long as that fist is in the air, that was the opponent's first attack and now we intercept it with our technique. That would be the second attack.

The main issue I have with this idea is that action is faster than reaction. Therefore, if you are waiting for the first swing, you automatically put yourself behind the 8-ball. Sure, some people are fast, and have good reactions. But it is not possible for everyone to train to be such. That is the main issue I have with this ideal.

This is a very popular mazim in Karate and other MAs. How do you interpret this maxim, and how does it affect your training?

I don't interpret it literally. I don't feel that an MAist should wait to be struck before acting. In fact, if a strike is being thrown, then it should be evident that there was likely a level of danger already present to relegate a pre-emptive strike.

I wanted to hear what everyone else felt about this ideal in MA training.

I think it's a mistake to teach this concept. I always remember the parents who tell their children (as my parents did) "Don't you be the first to hit - but if he hits you - then defend yourself."

Sadly, with kids, the first to hit is often the winner, too.

For adults, things aren't so different.

I tell my guys to attack when they realize they won't be able to get out of this situation safely without fighting.

Ever wonder why pretty much every form (kata, hyung) starts with a block? All those sparring drills begin with an adversary punching you? And don't forget, it's impossible to escape the wrist grab until they actually grab your wrist.

I believe it means we aren't supposed to use our skills except in our defense. Whether it applies today, I don't know. But perhaps, it should apply now more than ever.

Ever wonder why pretty much every form (kata, hyung) starts with a block? All those sparring drills begin with an adversary punching you? And don't forget, it's impossible to escape the wrist grab until they actually grab your wrist.

At the same time, if no one ever threw the first punch in kumite, it would be pretty boring.....

My dad always said, "don't start it, but finish it." He didn't say nothin' about not hitting first.

Ever wonder why pretty much every form (kata, hyung) starts with a block?

It will also depend on your interpretations of the moves in the forms. Is that a downward block, or a downward hammerfist strike to the groin? It just depends.

Not to mention that several older forms have movments that have largely been interperated as blokcks when in reality, they are intended to be training aids for other things, nerve strikes coming to most immediatlely to mind.