• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How would you deal with this?

Shoto4Life

I have this guy I train with who I think is intimidated by me. This makes him try and chop wood with me when we kumite. Im not sure if since we are both apt that he feels he should push it but I personally feel that the contact should remain snappy and more focused on techniqe than the idea of chopping wood and trying to break the guys arm. How should I handle this. A while ago I called him out and he just kinna disgruntly took the advice. He then was gone for a while and now he is back and is still doing it. Should I escale it and try to hit him more full speed really hard? Its a crappy thing cause I feel if I say something Ill look weak. However I dont wanna really crack him back as to cause a scene and make myself look bad that way. Any ideas?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personnally, I'd ask him what his problem is but in a discreet fashion. Kinda like this "why are you bit sloppy, your better then this usually?' but in a warm content so that he doesnt feel threatened.

I would never attempt to just hit him and see if he backs off. Usually that lends to the instructor seeing it or worse someone coming in to watch class to see if this was the style they want to learn.

I am not sure about your club but in mine, we train for points. The idea is to throw full speed and full power punches and kicks and make body contact but with control.

I am not sure of your age but if you are younger and your opponent is near your age, you should talk to your Sensei about this person. Taking this into your own hands and hurting him or getting hurt yourself is something that you don't want. If you are both adults and he should know better and you have already talked him about this, you should talk to you Sensei about him anyway.

I would not worry one bit about feeling weak because you talked to your Sensei. If you get hurt or this guy hurts someone else in your club because you didn't say something will make you feel worse.

I am an assistant instructor and I expect students to tell me if someone is hitting too hard or doing something that they shouldn't be doing. The last thing I want is someone getting hurt or quitting Karate because some other student is not adhering to the rules or acting like a bully.

Doug

Shodan, Shotokan Karate & 1st Kyu, Iaido

ShotokanMaster.com

ShotokanPlanet.org

I think im going to just tell him to lay off if it happends again. I really cant get by the wuss feeling of telling the instructors.

We are both adults. We practice for about the point of contact - usually were you can feel the light snap of contact but not like this were it hurts the next day.

I think he could tell I was bothered - I shook my hand and my head and gave a direct "that was uncalled for" stare. So hopefully he just adjusts and dials it back on his own.

Tell him once more. Let him know that you don't like the contact level. If he continues, then I say let him have it in sparring. Its give and take, you know. In the end, you may have to talk with the instructor if none of it works. Most likely, by this time, the instructor should have seen something, and will know.;)

Let them know how it feels. Pain is a great teacher only takes one or two. No need to say anything.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

In my club and my instructor's club the lower grade controls the pace, if you are the same grade/experience or Dan Grade then almost anything goes. As long as it is controlled etc if he steps it up you step it up until the level is reached, I guarantee even though it may not look like it, your Sensei will be watching to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

We Instructors see a lot more than you think

Osu!!!

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I'm a bit of a knuckledragger on this one (well, on lots of things actaully :) ).

I usually give someone a warining or two. A "bit hard" on that one kind of thing. If he's trying to control and failing, that's ok, keep working with him. If he's not. Then I blip him back. Hard.

In my my school it's tip for tap. If you're around the same rank you give what you get. If he's pretty new he's not learned to control his contact. But if all else fails talk to your instructor. I've been in the same situation and when I approached my instructor the answer I got was surprising. He told me he had known for quite some time. He also told me that he was surprised I waited so longto do anything. Also he toldme it's give what you get and on the paticular person he told me leg kicks and body shots. I always waited for the sign from my instructor during sparring and when I saw it I knew it was my time to teach the leason of give and take. But each case in each dojo is going to handled diffrently.

I agree with all that is said above and I say talk to the instructor. You have warned him as you have stated and I'm surprise that it is went on this long without a step in from and instructor, maybe as pittbulljudoka says he is waiting for you to approach him. I diffently taldk to the instructor before some one gets hurt.