• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pair Works......Am I being too dramatic?

nanook660

I was wondering if anyone here could offer me some advice.

When we do pair works and we do Ippon Me #1 (Jodan Uke) and Nihonme #2 (Gedan Barai) since we are a small number at the 9th Level (there are 3 of us and I am the only girl) we are paired with 8th and 7th Kyu. I always seem to get paired with this big strong guy and he tends to be a bit rough on me. He twists me really hard and his punch to my back really hurts. Last week he wedged his knee into my knee and pushed it at an angle and it did hurt

Should I continue to suck it up and bear it or should I ask Sensei not to pair me with him?

Thanks

Be thankful, not dramatic, my good friend.

It is a good thing you get paired with someone like that. If you understand that should you ever have to use the techniques you're practicing in the real world, this is the kind of person you're most likely to be facing - then you will be better preparing yourself while you're training and ultimately better prepared for the real thing.

This man may be big and tough and skilled, but (unless he's a total jerk) he is going rough on you in hopes that someday you will be too.

When I was in Kuk Sool Won, I was this guy and the girls in there didn't like me for it, but they didn't understand and I never had a chance to explain it to them. When I moved to Isshin-ryu, I went from being the best in class to the absolute worst in class and my instructors are way rougher on me. I love it because I know that this kind of thing will make me better.

• 5 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

one steps should have some pain involved for conditioning, but it shouldnt be real severe. and if you are a petite female and he is a big guy you may just be real close when he affects his counter and you havent figred out your distancing, typical at your level but at his level he should have a grasp of proper distance

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."