• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side Kick Question

I've been considering my side kicks a lot when doing them in class lately, so I thought I'd bring this back up.

version.

When doing the back leg side kick in combinations, this is the version that I have been trying to work with. It comes out well in one of the combinations we do, which is a reverse punch in a front stance, followed by a back leg side kick, which is then set down in a sitting stance, and followed by a spinning side kick. The arcing motion is still uncomfortable to me, so I do this more, ah, direct motion to get my kick out. I feel more balanced that way.

We also do what is called a "cross-over" side kick in basics, to work on the side kick technique solo. This page, originally posted by joesteph, is a pretty good indication of what we do: http://www.tangsoodoworld.com/reference/reference_techniques_side_kick.htm

The only difference is that in our school, we cross the back foot in front of the front foot in the stepping motion. This requires us to focus more on getting the chamber up into the proper position, knee up, heel down, like a chamber for a front kick you would throw in the direction the front of the body faces. However, when I kick out, instead of "snapping" the kick, I really concentrate on hip rotation, kind of "corkscrewing" the hips to thrust the leg out there, for power. Its feeling pretty good, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All

I agree the heel should face the side kick's target. This allows the foot to resist falling backward. Second tip is to pivot on the ball of the foot, transferring less twisting energy to the knee joint. Third tip is strike with the bottom heel of the foot. You need strong ankles to use the blade of the foot.

R Selrauq

https://www.actionbooks dot NET

Whether it's a side kick or roundhouse, there's a lot of torque on that supporting leg. For me, it's in the knee.
That's it for me also. If I don't turn my foot it goes right to my support knee.

I've been considering my side kicks a lot when doing them in class lately, so I thought I'd bring this back up.

version.

When doing the back leg side kick in combinations, this is the version that I have been trying to work with. It comes out well in one of the combinations we do . . .

For someone new to follow this post, you would want to click on DWx's link in the quote.

What a surprise I had tonight in my Jeet Kune Do lesson! We've done a lot of punching in my classes so far, and the front kick has been used a good bit too, but my instructor had time to demonstrate the three kicks used in JKD. The kicks are off the front leg, although JKD uses rear leg kicks, too, where applicable.

The front kick used is a "pendulum" one, with the rear foot coming up to take the place of the front foot as it kicks.

The side kick uses the pendulum and comes up/chambers just like the front kick; then you do the "screwdriver"! (I also found out that the roundhouse does the same action, turning into a roundhouse after the "front kick" chamber.)

I immediately mentioned the "screwdriver" discussion we'd had in the forums to my instructor, and he allowed me time to do a number of front, side, and roundhouses on a WaveMaster, using that same chamber.

I remember that a member of the forums mentioned she does her side kick the so-called "screwdriver" way, but her art isn't Jeet Kune Do. Well, it looks like it's lurking here-and-there in the martial arts community, ready to surface as a surprise to the opponent.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I think Bruce Lee really liked the lead leg side kick, as it was the longest tool of the body, and it could strike the closest target, the opponent's knee, before the opponent could really get into range with his/her hands. I like the pendulm idea, but I think that it can be a telegraph at times, too.

I think Bruce Lee really liked the lead leg side kick, as it was the longest tool of the body, and it could strike the closest target, the opponent's knee, before the opponent could really get into range with his/her hands. I like the pendulm idea, but I think that it can be a telegraph at times, too.

From private reading on JKD there are loads of different ways we throw the sidekick. Man there are just so many its unbelievable my mind boggles. They differ in the way the footwork leads to the side kick and in the way the side kick is chambered which has a lot to do with the level of commitment in the kick.

The sidekick that bruce lee used most often in the movies is known as the rear side kick. Due to the fact how much he leans back into it.

The most used sidekick is the side stop kick. Which starts like a front kick and then is applied to the opponents knee or just below the knee. This is usually done as soon as the opponent advanced towards you. Thats what I gather anyway.

I agree that the pendulum does telegraph but really its no different to traditional footwork in this respect. Its pretty hard not to telegraph the entering part of the kick.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing back our side kick discussion, I've been thinking about the body motions in Yoo Sin hyung, when doing the inside crescent kick into the palm, followed by the side kick with the same leg, without setting the foot down.

This is a tricky part of the form for me, as getting the kick to the hand, and then the side kick out, tends to be quite a challenge. It appears to me that this motion requires the side kick to fall into the side piercing kick category, which is odd for me anyways. Thoughts on this?

Bringing back our side kick discussion, I've been thinking about the body motions in Yoo Sin hyung, when doing the inside crescent kick into the palm, followed by the side kick with the same leg, without setting the foot down.

This is a tricky part of the form for me, as getting the kick to the hand, and then the side kick out, tends to be quite a challenge. It appears to me that this motion requires the side kick to fall into the side piercing kick category, which is odd for me anyways. Thoughts on this?

It's specified as a side piercing kick (can't think of any that aren't in the Chang Hon patterns). For the crescent kick, it seems natural for me to keep the front foot forward facing, the body quite square, and the kicking leg tends to come down facing forwards: from there, with the supporting foot forwards and the kicking foot right-of-centre, it seems easier to deliver the piercing motion than the thrusting anyway....

Regards,

Tony

In watching the three different video's of Yoo Sin hyung, the camera was to the practitioners back, and therefore I couldn't tell much.

A few questions first...

1) Is the crescent kicking foot suppose to come all the way down to the floor BEFORE the side kick is delivered?

OR

2) Is the cresent kicking foot suppose to return to the supporting legs knee BEFORE the side kick is delivered?

OR

3) Either way, is there suppose to be a very slight pause AFTER the crescent kick AND before the side kick is delivered?

Either way, allow me to offer this small bit of advice.

No matter the methodology, the key, imho, is the crescent kick smacking the outstretched hand and then following through during the pivot to the completion of the crescent kick. For the side kick to flow into the power curve successfully, the crescent kick must be crisp, flowing, and CONTINUE to the set-up point of the side kick.

Getting the crescent kicking foot to the outstretched hand is nothing more than STRETCHING, pivoting, fluid motion, and a great floor to perform the hyung. A mat can "grasp" at the pivoting foot and this can unbalance the whole cart. Not stretching the entire body can prevent something as simple as smacking the outstretched hand with a crescent kick.

In conclusion, I'd treat the entire process, at first, as ONE BIG KICK. Get the crescent leg up and through the outstretched hand while pivoting at the appropriate time and then finish the flowing motion of the ONE BIG KICK with the side kick. After the ONE BIG KICK/MOTION is successful, then, bring the hips back into the picture for effectiveness. Also, don't let the supporting knee go completely straight at any time and don't over lean to any side and don't drop the head. All of this will make it all the worse for wear. I'm not really telling you anything new because you're a black belt and you know both of these kicks when you do them seperately, therefore, all you have to do now is put them all together for ONE BIG KICK. It's the old killing two birds with one stone.

One last thing, maybe you're a bit tired/winded by the time you get to these BIG KICK COMBOS, after all, it's a long form. How's your cardio?

These are nothing more than suggestions. Your instructor is who I'd ask if I was you if we can't help. But, none the less, I hope my advice was of some help to you.

Now, rock and roll!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!