• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tito Ortiz: Highest Paid Fighter in MMA History

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/arash_markazi/08/05/ortiz.affliction/index.html

"I guarantee you that my contract will be like no other," said Ortiz, stopping short of giving away the specifics of a deal that could include responsibilities outside of the ring. "It will be a ground-breaking record contract for sure, without a doubt. There's so much money to be made right now in mixed martial arts and it's all about the fighters trying to make that money. It's going to be a long-term deal where I put my heart and soul into the company and help build them. That's something I'm interested in doing. They're going to bring me on, not just as a fighter but also doing some of the back work also."

Ortiz, who became a free agent on Monday after an 11-year career with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, met with Donald Trump on Tuesday to finalize the deal and is expected to be at Wednesday's press conference where his first opponent will be Renato "Babalu" Sobral.

Via Digg.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not a good choice, in my opinion. He is really far from the best fighter out there; there are other fighters out there that are more worth the money. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his first fight with Trump in charge. I just don't think he is that great, as far as MMA fighters go now.

Do you think he's the fighter who could bring in the most eyeballs and, as such, money?

I don't really think so. I think that MMA fans are tired of his attitude. I could be wrong, though; after all, Trump is no dummy. He must know something I don't. However, Ortiz is expected to work on the "back end" of things, too. In this area, I think he could be very knowledgable. He could probably set up something that is entertaining, to say the least. As a fighter, though, I think his day is done.

From what I have read Tito isn't signed yet.But there has been a meeting with the big wiggs of Affliction. Personally I think Tito is trying to build some hype for him self. And on the money side of the isssue Tito isn't drawing the crowds to be demanding the money he wants. Also you have to premform to get the big money and he's just not there anymore.

Ive never liked Tito or thought he was even a good fighter. IMO he's an average wrestler with little striking and mediocre JuJitsu, no idea why he keeps getting big contracts, must be his mouth.

There is no teacher but the enemy.

IMO Tito could still be a HUGE draw becasue he has the name. With the exception of Chuck Liddell I think the avg. person has prob. head of Tito Oriiz over most other MMA fighters.

I never was a huge Tito fan espcially early on. After the UF3 with him and Shamrock where Tito coached the red team. I really saw a new Tito. However, after the Shamrock fights which were ugly because Ken was way past his prime Tito did not look good in his next few. The first round of his fight vs Forrest being the exception.

Tito did well early on because he is a GREAT athlete and had a good chin. However, as better and better athletes have gotten in the UFC his skills has not kept up. I still think Tito has soem good fights left in him but the 205 class in the UFC is so deep IMO his best best is to go up and fight the heavy weights where his athleticism could take over much like Randy Coutour did or as it looks he has done go to a new leauge where he can be the start for his last few years.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

In spite of the skills/ lack of skills argument, Tito drew attention to the sport during a critical time in its development. The common guy might order the pay-per-view because Tito is exciting, or to see Tito get his tail whipped, but he ordered the show. Many of the fighters today are technically better, but lack the "outrageous factor" that will draw viewers and keep the sport alive.

• 2 weeks later...