• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grading in between belts?

For our rank structure we use there levels of brown, 3rd-1st kyu. I don't actaully remember if we deliniated these by stripes on the belt or not as I went thru.

With my guys, we're in gi's so infrequently it doesnt't matter much.

For kids (like young kids) I use a stripe system entirely. From yellow all the way up to a black stripe. I just don't feel right awarding rank to someone under 10, even with a junior rank involved.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Use of belts and their stripes can get out of hand, imho! More of each/either is for one reason, imho, no matter how the reason might be explained away...MONEY$$$

This is not to say that my style's way is the right way, it's just our way; no stripes except for Sankyu to Judan. There's no vailid reason, imho, for any style to have a camo belt...no reason!

:(

I use belts and stripes in combination to show rank levels.

I don't charge for lessons or for tests. I even give the stripes and belts to students without charge. I also use stripes to reduce the expense of buying belts. A piece of tape is a lot cheaper than a belt. Though using too much tape can make it hard to count. Anyway that my logic and its definitely not motivated by trying to make money but rather in not trying to spend any.

Edited by jaedeshi

my school goes from belt to belt but we have stripes on a few belts that just indicate rank

12th kyu- white

11th kyu- yellow

10th kyu- purple

9th kyu- orange

8th kyu- blue

7th kyu- blue w/ green stripe

6th kyu- green

5th kyu- green w/ red stripe

4th kyu- green w/ 2 red stripes

3rd kyu- red

2nd kyu- red w/ black stripe

1st kyu- red w/ 2 black stripes

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

This is not to say that my style's way is the right way, it's just our way; no stripes except for Sankyu to Judan. There's no vailid reason, imho, for any style to have a camo belt...no reason! :(

How does your school display the "stripes" at dan grade. Do you have the little gold bars at the bottom of the belt to delineate between same?

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk