• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Deadly and dangerous strikes

Jerry, Tell you what, you're obviously pretty handy with a search engine. This is what I want you to find for me. I want you to find some incidents where people were killed by a PUNCH to the throat. Boxers, Martial Artists, etc. And then, while you're at it, do some research on the subject of self defense. You'll find that this tactic is almost UNIVERSALLY taught. To prove the fact in even simpler terms, reach up and push your larynx back. Notice that it flexes and moves? By the way, to defend Guy Mezger's statement about the lottery, Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean that it never will.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the way I see it.... An experienced karateka's punch was clocked, using a strobe light, at roughly 14 meters/second. That converts to about 50 KPH. Combined with a smaller, sharper surface area of the first two knuckled and the weight of the karateka behind it, I'm fairly sure that a well aimed shot would require hospitalization.

Of course there are other factors....The throat is one of the most well protected spots on the body by both location and reflex. Chances are you aren't going to land a dead on shot.

If you feel threatened, do what you gotta do. Nuff said.

If my conversions are correct, 50 kph translates to 31.3 mph. That is nothing compared to 96 mph for a fast ball, and 102 mph for a hockey puck. I agree with the fact that a well placed punch to the throat will require hospitalization, not cause death. It is a dangerous technique not a deadly one. If you were to have your house keys in your hand that is a different story all together.

Jerry, Tell you what, you're obviously pretty handy with a search engine. This is what I want you to find for me. I want you to find some incidents where people were killed by a PUNCH to the throat.

62,900 responses, not counting what a search of "blunt force trauma" or "strike" or "kick" will get me that punch ddi not. I have no interested in sorting through those for you... just cause it's out there does not mean it's simple to cite (or I would have initally). For teh search engine try "killed punch throat" and start sifting.

Boxers, Martial Artists, etc. And then, while you're at it, do some research on the subject of self defense. You'll find that this tactic is almost UNIVERSALLY taught. To prove the fact in even simpler terms, reach up and push your larynx back.

Sure thing.. I'll try to "do some reasearch on the subject of self-defence".

I know, why not get a boxer to punch you in the throat and see what happens?

By the way, to defend Guy Mezger's statement about the lottery, Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean that it never will.

Speaking mathmatically, it's possible for all teh molecules of ar in the room to be heading towards one wall, creating a vacuum that suffocates you... just cause it's never happened...

If my conversions are correct, 50 kph translates to 31.3 mph. That is nothing compared to 96 mph for a fast ball, and 102 mph for a hockey puck.
And if my conversions are correct, a 15lb arm is heavier than a 1lb baseball.

I agree with the fact that a well placed punch to the throat will require hospitalization, not cause death.

Oxymoronic; if it can't kill you how can it "require" hospitalization.

I got punched in the throat pretty hard in a bit of a scuffle once

me writing this is testament that it didn't hurt, it made me heaps paranoid and stunned because I had it in my head that being punched in the throat is the end of your life so i was like...well... and choking to death didn't happen

perhaps a half-fist would be better for a throat shot? that how we generally practice throat shots in kenpo.

a punch to the throat can be very very bad to the reciever, just a mater of force and hitting the center of the throat and applying adequate force:)

you know that healthy "SNAP!" your gi makes when you bust out a strong punch? congradulations, you can crush someones throat.

Man to man, Soldier to soldier, Dust to dust.

The best deadly strike is a punch to the throat. It doesnt matter how tough you are, if you get punched there, chances are you wont get back up.

This is the problem many people have today - they learn these points, and assume they are capable of ending a fight. I have actually told someone to aim for my throat, and to hit me there if he could - he couldn't do it. small points like the throat and eyes are hard to get against a moving resisting opponent while standing - it's easier to do so from the ground where you can keep them immobilized. That's not to say that it can't be done, of course it can - but it's not as easy as many people would think.

Most fighters keep their chins tucked when they fight naturaly. Nature has a reason for doing what it does. I would suggest avoiding getting hit in the throat if at all possible. If you think it will kill you or not...

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.