• 10 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my (former) husband attacked me I escaped by jabbing him in the eye, so I know that works. (I didn't know anything about martial arts, but I DID know he was going to kill me if I didn't do something, so I improvised. :) )

The best deadly strike is a punch to the throat. It doesnt matter how tough you are, if you get punched there, chances are you wont get back up.

i heard that if you one throws a deadly effective punch in the throat it could be fatal. so always makesure of the situation first whether in the street e.t.c.

While a well executed punch to the throat is effective enough to stun your attacker and allow an escape, the belief that it will be fatal is absolutely untrue. "Your chances of winning the lottery five times in a row are better than your chances of killing someone in this manner." (Guy Mezger) Please stop spreading this, you're putting a pretty daunting idea in people's heads and depriving them of a perfect target to stop and evade an attack.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

From "SUMMARY OF ACCIDENTAL BASEBALL PLAYER FATALITIES" http://www.brendangrant.org/trib_5hist_perspective.htm:

Philip Forney died in 1910, hit in the throat by a baseball.

also

http://thedeadballera.crosswinds.net/accidents.html:

1911: ED CERMAK (29)....................HIT IN THE THROAT BY A BASEBALL UMPING IN THE COTTON STATES LEAGUE

and

"Montreal forward Trent McCleary suffered a career-ending injury on Jan. 29 when he horribly mistimed his attempt to block the shot of of Philadelphia's Chris Therien and was hit in the throat. His windpipe was crushed and he nearly died. He attempted to come back in September but could not overcome a breathing problem. McCleary is 28." - http://www.murraybaron.com/pressvanc.html

There are more, but between spinal neck injuries and reports on throat maladies, there's a lot of noise to filter through to find the signil. That said, above proves throat injuries from blunt-force trauma (being hit) can and do kill.

You can die from being hit in the throat. Nobody is disputing that. The chances of it happening from a punch are pretty slim. In the above examples the injuries are caused by baseballs and a hockey puck. Having been a goalie, I can tell you that being hit with a hockey puck and being punched are two different feelings. Baseball pitches can reach near tripple digit speeds, and a guy like Al McGinnis has been recorded with a 102 mph slapshot. I would have to go with a frozen puck hurting more than a punch. I feel that a well placed punch to the throat will effectively stun a person, but I doubt it would kill them.

I would not presume to try to place up statistics which do not exist. At present, if it can be done by a thrown baseball, then I consider it a "possability" through various forms of unarmed hits (punches, elbows, kneew, feet, whatever).

"Your chances of winning the lottery five times in a row are better than your chances of killing someone in this manner." Is just not true, as no one has ever done that, and yet people have been killed by strikes to the throat. (BTW the same search found a couple football impacts which required hospitalization as well)

I will agree with you, in perfect conditions(ie. the person did not try to defend, they were against a wall); you could kill a person by punching them in the throat. I just feel that the chances of this happening are pretty slim. When I was a kid there was the urban myth that you could kill somebody with a palm heel to the nose. If done correct, it would send shards of bone from the nose into the brain killing a person instantly. I've broken my nose more than 2 dozen times and I am still here. Aside from that the nose is made of cartalidge.

In theory can you crush somebodies larynx with a punch and kill them? It is possible. Is it likely? I don't see it. I have a friend who is a doctor and a martial artist. I will talk to him and see what his take on it is.

Well, the way I see it.... An experienced karateka's punch was clocked, using a strobe light, at roughly 14 meters/second. That converts to about 50 KPH. Combined with a smaller, sharper surface area of the first two knuckled and the weight of the karateka behind it, I'm fairly sure that a well aimed shot would require hospitalization.

Of course there are other factors....The throat is one of the most well protected spots on the body by both location and reflex. Chances are you aren't going to land a dead on shot.

If you feel threatened, do what you gotta do. Nuff said.