• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Definition of a "Warrior"??

This topic came up at another forum, and it took off pretty well, so I thought I would try it here.

How would you define a "warrior?" Do we, as Martial Artists, automatically acquire the title? I don't really think so. Not very many of us will ever be faced with a dangerous, life or death matter.

I would be willing to call those enlisted in the armed forces warriors. However, does it matter what the position in the forces is? Not all soldiers will go to war, and see action in the field. So, does the threat or presence of death or serious bodily harm, or having to kill/maim make one a warrior?

There is a lot that can be prompted in a discussion like this. I open the door for all! :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My idea of a warrior has more to do with mindset than anything else.

Certianly, I've met many ma-ist that wouldn't qualify as warriors. Same could actually be said of some soldiers I've met, cops as well.

Warrior, I think, means that you are an individual that accepts that someone might try to kill you today, and as such, you train in anticipation of that event. If you are doing this, your mindset will automatically fall in line for what is neccissary for the "warrior" qualification.

Naturally, you will mind more individual that are accepting of this in armed professions, soldiers, cops and the like. However, anyone who accepts the reality of their training and what it is for, can learn to become one. And belong to one of the aforementioned professions dosen't necissarly make a warrior.

It's about why you're training and how you're training. That's a warrior. Are you really training to use you skills to defend agaist a life threating attack, are you training to kill if needed. Then you're at least becoming a warrior. It has to be more than words, it must be action, guided by mindset that leads you deeper into this calling. How "real" is your training? An improtant question to ask. As is "will i use this if needed". Many will find that the answer is no.

There are also tiers of warriorhood. Some are more completely absorbed in the lifestyle than others. Most of us probibly go up and down a warrior continuum from day to day. That's okay. It's the striving, the training and the mindset that push us along for the ride.

There it is in my book. No real philosophical outlook (probibly no suprise to anyone who knows me), just a mindset in preperation of combat.

Great question to pose bushido-man. Looking forward to the posts.

Mindset is a good way look at it, tallgeese. Do you think that a predisposition to danger on some level should have any basis on the conception of being a warrior?

Good question. I had to take some time to think about it truth be told.

If by predisposition to danger means that you are more willing to confront situations which would expose you to danger then yes, I would say that it is necissary. I don't think that this needs be present at the onset of training, it might be helpful if you're just wired this way, however. But a familiarty with dangerous situations should be developed thru training and simulation. A certain "comfort" with the idea should slowly build. More importantly, this should drive you to focus and work through the situation without giving into the fear of the danger. Again, we go back to the idea of being immersed to different levels along the warrior calling.

Now I don't think that directly being involved in a life or death conflict, or even a serious "greviously bodily harm" situation is needed to confirm one's warrior status. I will say that these can be a test, an epiphany moment so to speak for those who pass through that crucible. What's more important is the preperation in deadly earnest for that day, even if it never comes. God willing, for a bulk of people in this nation in the 21st century, it won't. But the mental acceptance that it may must always be present in the mind of one who would talk of being a warrior.

Thanks, bushido man. I think that this is a really excellent topic you brought up here. I hope others jump in.

I believe a "warrior" is a person who has the will to act.. they can and will stand up and fight for what they believe in.. I don't believe they have no fear, but control fear.. anybody who is brave enough to be "different" from the crowd and stand up and fight for what he believes in is a warrior in my book.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I'll go with most of that, Throwdown. Is being different necessarily the key, though? Even if one is standing up for the crowd, they could still be considered a warrior, right?

While we're on this tilt, I assume that you are speaking in terms of perhaps having to deal with a physical threat. Should some kind of physical danger, with great bodily harm or death as a chance, be a prerequisite for a warrior act?

I'll go with most of that, Throwdown. Is being different necessarily the key, though? Even if one is standing up for the crowd, they could still be considered a warrior, right?

While we're on this tilt, I assume that you are speaking in terms of perhaps having to deal with a physical threat. Should some kind of physical danger, with great bodily harm or death as a chance, be a prerequisite for a warrior act?

yes also, I believe if they stand up for the crowd then their a "warrior" to me cause in my opinion that is what makes them different..

to make it short, someone who will fight to make a change for example, Police man, firemen and soldiers..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

When it comes to what constitutes a warrior I think of the phrase "the way of the warrior is death." Not that the warrior trains to die, hopes to die, or dreams of some fantastical, Hollywood movie-style expiration, but that the warrior trains so as not to fear death. As tallgeese said, this includes facing the fact that "someone might try to kill you today."

I feel as though I need to flesh out this response a bit more, but for the sake of brevity and my bedtime, I'll stop...for now.

Ed