• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Northeast Pennsylvania schools.

rocko76

Hello all, I am new to the forum. I am looking for a good school in northeast pennslyvania to train. I live in luzerne county, close to hazelton and wilkes barre. Is there any schools to be recomended. I am looking for self defense primarily. I injoy the kempo and jiu jitsu styles. Want to stay away from tae kwon do. Thanks.

godspeed!!!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I just checked the dojo directory on blackbeltmag.com and came up with two in your area, but I dont know what style they teach.

One is called Mountain Valley family Martial Arts in Hazleton

the other is called Scranton Karate School in scranton.

hope this helps.

Semper Fi , Dave

Do a Google search of your area, and see what schools come up. With a list of schools, it would be easier to identify what your choices are, and you could narrow down what you are looking for.

Welcome to the Forums! :karate: I hope you find what you are looking for.

I'm also from PA, the northwest part, and having trouble finding a school of interest. I'm really interested in jiu jitsu, mma, or any other form of grappling, but there doesn't seem to be any of these schools close to me. I can't travel too far because of work and family committments. I did attend a karate dojo a year ago that did limited grappling. My desire to get back into martial arts is strong, so I might have to settle for my old school, even if it's not exactly what I want.

Think I found a place in mountaintop that teaches shito ryu, american kempo and no'bushi jutsu. Seems like a good combination of styles. I am not familiar with no'bushi jutsu but I read it has a strong jiu jitsu aspect so I will probably go with this school. I did a little training in modern arnis before and really liked that aswell but there is no school like that in this area at all. Thanks for the welcome everyone.

godspeed!!!!!

Mountain valley in hazleton is where my daughter goes. She is seven. They teach goju. I personally dont want to train at that school. My daughter seems to enjoy it, so I keep her there. Thanks for the help.

godspeed!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I train at a dojo in Pike County, which may be a bit of a hike for you, but would be well worth the effort imho. The name is Mountain Dojo, and the style is USA Goju. The sensei, Master Al Casale is a 10th dan who studied directly under Peter Urban, the founder of USA Goju. He is an excellent sensei and is also certified by the College of Sports Medicine and AFAA, and so is highly qualified in the area of physical fitness and training besides his superior MA knowledge. You can check the school out at https://www.mountaindojo.com if you're interested. Good Luck!