• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seiza Problems

nanook660

I have been doing Wado Ryu for almost 5 months now and I still cannot sit in Seiza Position. It is too painful still.

Does anyone have any suggestions or exercises that I can do?

Fran

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that practicing on the carpet at home helps me.

What is too painful? Ankles, knees or other?

Ankles, knees, and my thighs are painful.

I think most people find it painful to begin with. it gets easier the more you do it, but even when your used to it, your feet will still go numb from loss of blood supply if you sit in Seiza for too long.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

I think most people find it painful to begin with. it gets easier the more you do it, but even when your used to it, your feet will still go numb from loss of blood supply if you sit in Seiza for too long.

I am practicing at home and I am getting there slowly.

Hi nanook660,

I notice your avatar displays a Wado Ryu Renmei / Academy badge.

If you are with this group your are well equipped.

Mr Shiomitsu is a very knowledgeable instructor who is an expert in how to perform correct wado "za rei".

As far as the pain is concerned, you should ask your sensei, as it may be something to do with your body posture and how you are distributing your weight. If you are allowing your buttocks to rest on your heels for example, you are sitting too far back. This could be forcing the tops of your feet into the ground. If you are pitching forward the weight will be pushing through your knees etc.

Also bear in mind that many of us westerners just ain't built to sit in this position for long (overweight). So it is not easy, but you should continue as it is an important part of Wado.

Ask sensei.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Hi nanook660,

I notice your avatar displays a Wado Ryu Renmei / Academy badge.

If you are with this group your are well equipped.

Mr Shiomitsu is a very knowledgeable instructor who is an expert in how to perform correct wado "za rei".

As far as the pain is concerned, you should ask your sensei, as it may be something to do with your body posture and how you are distributing your weight. If you are allowing your buttocks to rest on your heels for example, you are sitting too far back. This could be forcing the tops of your feet into the ground. If you are pitching forward the weight will be pushing through your knees etc.

Also bear in mind that many of us westerners just ain't built to sit in this position for long (overweight). So it is not easy, but you should continue as it is an important part of Wado.

Ask sensei.

My feet do not bend. The tops of my feet do not touch the floor when I try to sit in Seiza. I have been told that it will come as I get more flexible.

Yeah, I feel your pain. Literally. Hopefully, it goes away as you become accustomed to it.

Yeah, I feel your pain. Literally. Hopefully, it goes away as you become accustomed to it.

I am getting there slowly. Sensei allows me to sit cross legged. I work at it every night at trying to sit in Seiza.

One thing that has helped me is that I sit in seiza on a thick carpet or a thick towel for a few minutes at a time at home each day. Start out with maybe 30 seconds and work your way up a few seconds at a time.

In one of your dojo's, before class, I sit in seiza for at least a minute or two to get my ankles and knees ready for class to start. This helps stretch my ankles and knees before we move on to the tile floor to start class.

Just take your time trying to gain flexibility and don't push it too fast. You don't want to hurt yourself and not be able to train because of it.

Doug

Shodan, Shotokan Karate & 1st Kyu, Iaido

ShotokanMaster.com

ShotokanPlanet.org