• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To bring this back on topic a bit, I'd take out of context one of Tallgeese's comments:

"I would say that it wouldn't meet my standard for what I wanted."

The segue above has presumed that all / most students want to be able to move their training to the street in short order (i.e. training objective). Question is: are you sure all the folks that take Ki Aikido (a popular Aiki style promoted by Koichi Tohei that, imo, focuses a lot on soft don't hurt the other guy approaches and spiritual development) really have that objective? Is the "street lethal" objective what comes to mind when one visualizes Aiki schools? :-?

If not, then is that the fault of Aiki and it's style or is it the fault of the student having unrealistic expectations of what the style teaches? :-?

Well John, I can understand this thought process and I have tried on this forum to present a considered opinion in this area, however in the most part, it seems that any aspects of ma that do not have a direct correlation with the "street lethal" objectives as you put it, seem to be relegated to the realms of antiquity.

You may have your work cut out here. I've all but given up really.

Aikido's soft approach can still contain methods to help one in self-defense capacities earlier rather than later, in my opinion. Even if it has to do with teaching more awareness to situations, and ways to defend against attacks that may be of a more simplified fashion than some of the more intricate movements of the style.

With that said, I don't think that one has to do street lethal techniques in order to defend himself. Truly, awareness training can increase the chance that no physical technique has to be thrown. Its a start. But when it comes down to it, and its time to make contact, its important to take into consideration that contact is sufficient enough to help one to escape.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One item I took from an aikido seminar several years ago, and later training with someone who was cross training in aikido, was their concept of randori.

I think that this is a great tool for developing awarness and defensive movement as well as timining and such.

One item I took from an aikido seminar several years ago, and later training with someone who was cross training in aikido, was their concept of randori.

I think that this is a great tool for developing awarness and defensive movement as well as timining and such.

I agree with this, I have only touched on it with a koryu group that a train with (now and then), but it is a good exercise.

Bushido_man you practice Aikido, have you started randori yet?

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk