• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry, It has been a long time since I last posted so I'm a bit disoriented...but now that I have time again to train, I want to study Aikido. The problem is, the more I read about it, the more styles and systems I see. The nearest dojo from my home is a member of the Ki Society...

I don't know how to differentiate each systems, except on philosophies..can anyone tell me the specifics?

Any thoughts on the matter? Thanks in advance to all the loyal members of Karate Forums!!! :karate: I am all in your debt... :)

The stronger swordsman does not always win.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aikido is a softer art that attempts to utilize an attackers own energy againt him. It's charaterized by standing joint manipulations and throws. These tend to be longer in nature than you'll see from small circle systems and the throws usually depend on the joint positions for leverege, not to many body contact ones that I've seen.

It differs from other Japaneese systems considerably when you look at striking. You certainly won't focus as much on an offensive game plan.

On the other hand, you'll do a lot of weapon defenses. Joint manipulation lends itself well to controlling weapons. SOme classes I've see also train with the boken considerably. Although that probibly depends on the organization and school.

As always, check the school out and see if you like it. Also check out other gyms in your area and see if what they are doing matches what you want out of training better. Remember, really define what it is that you want out of training before you even start to nail down what art you want to study.

Good luck.

You may want to research into different organizations to see what the ideals of each are. For the most part, however, most styles of Aikido are going to be evasive of striking, and tend to take a "lighter" approach to actions. But research a bit, and you'll get an idea of what they are about.

These guys are probably the best resource on the net for Aikido:

https://www.aikidojournal.com

Z

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• 1 month later...

The few years I spent training in Aikido helped me tremendously with ukemi and how I "cut angles" with my footwork. However, where I have trained and other dojo I have checked out did a lot of compliant training, meaning that there was hardly any resistance applied. I don't think Aikido by itself is a good art. You look at some of the old high ranking people that study it and they had backgrounds in Daito ryu, Judo, jujutsu, and so on, first.

I ended up quitting Aikido because my instructor couldn't defend against a mawashi geri and show his counter(he was teaching the class and using me as his uke)after he asked me to do the mawashi geri. He than made a lame excuse that I caught him off guard because I didn't throw a lead leg mawashi geri acting like that was the norm so I threw the lead leg and he still couldn't do anything.

I'm by no means saying you'll have the same type of experience as I have, because I even tried to find more realistic Aikido dojo for a good 3-4 years after this incidence but the area I lived in at the time didn't have anything of that nature.

A general rule for Aikido is, expect it to take 3-5 times longer than something like Karate to be able to apply it. You'll notice karateka that train for only 3-6 months that will be able to apply a "simple" gyaku tsuki and mae geri better than you'll be able to ten kan and kote gaeishi to ni kyo or whatever.

The few years I spent training in Aikido helped me tremendously with ukemi and how I "cut angles" with my footwork. However, where I have trained and other dojo I have checked out did a lot of compliant training, meaning that there was hardly any resistance applied. I don't think Aikido by itself is a good art. You look at some of the old high ranking people that study it and they had backgrounds in Daito ryu, Judo, jujutsu, and so on, first.

I ended up quitting Aikido because my instructor couldn't defend against a mawashi geri and show his counter(he was teaching the class and using me as his uke)after he asked me to do the mawashi geri. He than made a lame excuse that I caught him off guard because I didn't throw a lead leg mawashi geri acting like that was the norm so I threw the lead leg and he still couldn't do anything.

I'm by no means saying you'll have the same type of experience as I have, because I even tried to find more realistic Aikido dojo for a good 3-4 years after this incidence but the area I lived in at the time didn't have anything of that nature.

A general rule for Aikido is, expect it to take 3-5 times longer than something like Karate to be able to apply it. You'll notice karateka that train for only 3-6 months that will be able to apply a "simple" gyaku tsuki and mae geri better than you'll be able to ten kan and kote gaeishi to ni kyo or whatever.

I train (whenever I have the time) with a small Koryu group that practices Daito ryu, and I am the only Karate-ka there.

Its funny you should say what you do, because the Sensei has always joked about the "coarseness" of Karate and my lack of budo refinement, but on the other hand, he has a healthy respect for karate as he knows its effectiveness.

That said there are a couple of guys at the club that practice a branch of "Tomiki" aikido which is more geared toward Kumite, and they are pretty decent.

Daito is different to Aikido (as far as I understand anyway), as the techniques are not designed to be performed on your Uke in a way that he can comply with the technique.

Anyway. Aikido great training to learn how to move, but I agree with kansas, it takes a long time for it to be effective.... some would say that that was the whole point though.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I agree about the limited fighting application of akido, although I have no idea what attacks you're refering to in Japaneese. Seriously, no idea :lol: .

Still, I get the gist of the post and concur. I think joint manipulation can be a very effective tool, however, I think that there are many systems better designed to make use of them more quickly. Small circle stuff tends to lend itself to combative application better as well.

Cutting angles can be learned as well from aikido, still, there are other joint heavy arts that can and should accomplish the same.

Not saying that it's a bad art to study, but looking at an time to efficiency equation it does come out on the "too l ng" end for my taste. But I am the guy that thinks you should be able to radically increase your capability to take care of yourself in 6 months or so.

I do think that there is a ton of beauty in aikido, and that after years of training the movements therein can be useful. It's just a different aspect that some people are looking for.

This is true I think Throwdown. Your blending and flowing evasions will certainly improve dramatically.

Not saying that it's a bad art to study, but looking at an time to efficiency equation it does come out on the "too l ng" end for my taste. But I am the guy that thinks you should be able to radically increase your capability to take care of yourself in 6 months or so.

I agree with your assessment here, tallgeese. I don't have a problem with taking a lifetime to master a system, but at the same time I feel that the system should make you a competent fighter relatively quickly.