• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opened hand or Closed hand attacks?

Open or Closed?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Open or Closed?

• Open
    • Closed

Interesting to see the differences. I personally would be more afraid of breaking something with an open hand attack. Any sort of knifehand and I would be worried about either the little finger or the thumb (if its a reverse). Fist just feels better to me. Although I would say I think my outer knifehand is far more powerful than any of my punches. I do like using palm strikes for things like the nose or solar plexus..

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 7 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is something I've been analyzing on my own. My personal conclusion is that using a closed hand strike (for the most part, your basic punch) against a hard target like the head is bad news. I prefer shotei (palm heel) for head strikes now and save the closed fist strikes for either the body or as a hammerfist.

I came to this approach in a few different ways. One is seeing several guys I work with, two of which have training, who broke their hands during a fight with another individual. All of them struck out instinctively with their strong side hands, which just so happened to be their shooting hand as well. So now not only did they break their hands fighting an aggressive subject, but now if the situation were to go to deadly force they'd be in a world of trouble. They also had to take time off of work and in general it wasn't too good for them.

Another stigma of the closed fist, at least on the LEO side, is how it looks on camera. Punching a guy like it's the Rumble in the Jungle isn't going to look too good on your end. An open hand strike though is a bit more camera friendly as well as being a bit easier to justify.

An open hand blow can be quite powerful, so you don't really lose too much in that end. Watch any of the old Pancrase fights and you can see quite a few KOs from open hand strikes (which, due to no gloves, were the only strikes allowed to the head for that organization). At most I feel you lose a tiny bit of reach but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

I prefer open handed strikes as a preference, yet, this preference is fueled by my styles methodologies.

I'm of habit/muscle memory as I find my hand more open than closed. Which is best for me? Open by far. My open hand allows me to engage at will with Tuite. Yes, I control the hand and tell them [my hands] what to do. But in the believe of Tuite, I find my hand more open than I do closed.

What is the target? That might determine whether my hand is open/closed. What is the striking surface? That might determine as to what target is to be struck, but more importantly, what's the situation at hand.

It's not 'I' who hits, but, 'it' hits all by itself!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This is something I've been analyzing on my own. My personal conclusion is that using a closed hand strike (for the most part, your basic punch) against a hard target like the head is bad news. I prefer shotei (palm heel) for head strikes now and save the closed fist strikes for either the body or as a hammerfist.

I came to this approach in a few different ways. One is seeing several guys I work with, two of which have training, who broke their hands during a fight with another individual. All of them struck out instinctively with their strong side hands, which just so happened to be their shooting hand as well. So now not only did they break their hands fighting an aggressive subject, but now if the situation were to go to deadly force they'd be in a world of trouble. They also had to take time off of work and in general it wasn't too good for them.

Another stigma of the closed fist, at least on the LEO side, is how it looks on camera. Punching a guy like it's the Rumble in the Jungle isn't going to look too good on your end. An open hand strike though is a bit more camera friendly as well as being a bit easier to justify.

An open hand blow can be quite powerful, so you don't really lose too much in that end. Watch any of the old Pancrase fights and you can see quite a few KOs from open hand strikes (which, due to no gloves, were the only strikes allowed to the head for that organization). At most I feel you lose a tiny bit of reach but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

I think you make some solid points here. I haven't struck anyone in the head with a fist, so I don't know what the results would be for me, but I have struck some pretty solid objects in the past, with no ill effects. But, everyone reacts differently.

I also agree from the LEO/Corrections standpoint on how the open hand strikes look, especially in court. Now, if you happen to be outnumbered, or the assailant has a weapon, using the closed hand might be easier to justify. But in that case, you could justify escalating to weaponry, too.

I also agree from the LEO/Corrections standpoint on how the open hand strikes look, especially in court. Now, if you happen to be outnumbered, or the assailant has a weapon, using the closed hand might be easier to justify. But in that case, you could justify escalating to weaponry, too.

Very true. Do what you have to do. One of our guys just got into a big fight with a suspect and ended up having to stab the suspect after he went for the officer's gun. In a situation like that, I'll take a jury trial over my funeral any day of the week.