• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

While we're on zombies....

tallgeese

Thanks to Patrick for finding that great zombie dating site. I think I'm still wiping tears away on that one.

On the subject, I've alway kind of liked the zombie flicks from Romero. The original Dawn of the Dead being the best of them. Just creepy. However, I have to say that this new generation of zombie films are actually more frightening. Like the 28 days movies or I Am Legend. I think it's the speed.

I mean, with the old flicks you could see one coming, stop and have a bite to eat, scare up some ammo, load your pistol, clear it, clean it, reload it, take all day to find your front sight and then put one in the noggin. That's all while fielding a call on your cell. In retrospect, they were just that slow.

Now, they're screaming around and mach 1 like olympic sprinters. Much scarier in my way of thinking. Not to mention climbing the walls and such.

Anyone else agree, disagree, even care?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree. Although I haven't seen many of the new zombie movies, I have seen some of the old ones. My favorite memory is from Night of the Living Dead, I think.

One of the guys in a room told the rest in the room to let the zombie in, because he was going to "knock his block off." They opened the door, the zombie staggers out, saying "Braaaaaains!!!" and the guy swings the bat like Jose Conseco, and knocks the zombie's head off! Great stuff!

No problem. :) Glad to hear that.

As far as zombie flims, I have to say I haven't seen many. So, I can't really compare. But, I did see I Am Legend. :) Big Will Smith fan.

Shaun of the Dead is the best by far :D. Other than that haven't really watched many zombie movies. The first Resident Evil film was good but the rest of the series wasn't as good.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 3 years later...

I am Necroing a zombie thread. That's just cool.

28 Days zombies were not zombies per se, but many of the rules apply. The speed and mobility are definitely scarier, it is offset by still being subject to human rules of dying. Center mass is good enough when stopping the heart is good enough. The worst thing about them is the germs. I'm a bit neurotic about hygiene anyway.

Oh, Brian, if the zombies said "brains" it would be Return of the Living Dead. That series was not done by Romaro, but was a simultaneous parody and tribute. Romaro's films are horror and social commentary, often using a zombies as a metaphor for materialistic greed and such. The Return of the Living Dead capitalized on Romaro's success, but were just fun comedy horror flicks.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Since we're talking zombies again, and I mean, who doesn't want to do that, I've been catching up on AMC's Walking Dead series this weekend and I am really impressed.

It manages a really overall creepy feel thru the entire hour of an episode without relying solely on gore. Now, being a zombie flick, some level of gore is expected, but it doesn't stake it's claim to scary on it. Much more likely to use other techniques (like small, confined spaces to induce claustrophobia in the viewer) as the centerpiece to what it's trying to do with the implied gore in the background. Of course, about once an episode we get a gratuitous shot of organs being disemboweled or such, but hey, it is a zombie project.

Also, their movement strikes a nice balance between the creeping doom variety established by Romero and sudden unexpected bursts that really freak me out. Nothing humans can't already do, so no crawling on walls like Legend zombies. Think rioters flesh eating bacteria.

If you're a fan of the genera, it's worth checking out. As Groinstrike said in a text to me, it makes you want to clean your guns. That's the mark of a good zombie flick.

Oh, Brian, if the zombies said "brains" it would be Return of the Living Dead. That series was not done by Romaro, but was a simultaneous parody and tribute. Romaro's films are horror and social commentary, often using a zombies as a metaphor for materialistic greed and such. The Return of the Living Dead capitalized on Romaro's success, but were just fun comedy horror flicks.

Thanks for clearing that up, MP. Like I said, its been so long since I've seen it, I've forgotten which it was. Good stuff, though. If I ever get to see it again, my life might be complete. Not sure I could get the wife to sit through it with me, though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

On a serious note, Bill Hinzman, the actor who played the first zombie to appear in Night of the Living Dead and therefore the first of the "modern" zombies, has passed away of cancer at the age of 75. It's sad to see the passing of a cultural icon. May he rest in peace.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma