• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Enshin Karate, branch of Kyokushin?

Throwdown0850

I am going to be starting Enshin Karate next week. from what I hear, it is a branch off of Kyokushin and that most, if not all the strikes are from Kyokushin, and it teaches on the "Sabaki" method??

my question is could you guys tell me a little more about this style and maybe could tell me more about the "sabaki"?

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I am going to be starting Enshin Karate next week. from what I hear, it is a branch off of Kyokushin and that most, if not all the strikes are from Kyokushin, and it teaches on the "Sabaki" method??

my question is could you guys tell me a little more about this style and maybe could tell me more about the "sabaki"?

Hi Throwdown,

Afraid I dont know anything about Enshin Karate. I know that there is a sword school called Enshin Ryu and for what its worth "Enshin" means Open Heart.

The Sabaki you refer to means "Management" or "Work" it is usually prefixed with the word "Tai" which means body.

Tai-sabaki (body management) is the process of manoeuvring your body into an advantageous position against an oponent. All MA employ Tai-sabaki to some extent or another, whether they know it or not.

The Tai-sabaki of most traditional Japanese styles of Karate is influenced by clasical kenjutsu (sword arts) of which "Enshin Ryu" is one, so I guess there is a connection there.

:wink:

Good luck with your endeavours and let us know how you get on.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

"Sabaki" in this instance may indicate a competition style. Enshin, along with Kyokushin's other offshoot, Ashihara (I think) all are renowned for their knockdown Karate tournaments. They are high contact, low protection type tournaments. So, if you like contact, you will most likely get it here.

I think that learning one of these styles would be fun. I may not get good at it, but it would be fun.

Dobbersky is the resident expert on these subjects, as he is into Ashihara, I believe. All I have said above is conjecture, just from what I have read of Kyokushin. So, I leave the right answers to Dobbersky, when he gets a chance to chime in.

"Sabaki" in this instance may indicate a competition style. Enshin, along with Kyokushin's other offshoot, Ashihara (I think) all are renowned for their knockdown Karate tournaments. They are high contact, low protection type tournaments. So, if you like contact, you will most likely get it here.

I think that learning one of these styles would be fun. I may not get good at it, but it would be fun.

Dobbersky is the resident expert on these subjects, as he is into Ashihara, I believe. All I have said above is conjecture, just from what I have read of Kyokushin. So, I leave the right answers to Dobbersky, when he gets a chance to chime in.

Yep, you have a point there Bushi.

I guess that it could be name for their style of fighting, IE Jiyu, Shiai, Shobu etc.

I didn't consider that. Not withstanding, if it is a competitive style, the name reflects the process... perhaps?

Z

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

Thats super cool.

If i were about 20 years younger I would have a crack at that.

Unfortunately I bruise a little to easy these days so I try to fight with my mind and get out of the way a bit more. That said nothing wrong with it if you are a young buck, but I suspect you can expect a few visits to casualty (ER). That doesn't make it a bad thing. I am no stranger to the ER in the name of karate.

If anything it will be a lesson on what it feels like to be beaten up. A very hard lesson to learn and one you will take with you through your Karate career.

I had my first class, it was pretty intense, it has a HUGE kyokushin influence!! the class is was very challenging.. one of the black belts was doing a kick called the "brazilian kick", it looked awesome. it is full contact as well.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

So Throwdown,

Any clearer on what "sabaki" is?

Is it a competition style or a way of moving.

I know where my money is, but I want to give Bushi a chance.

Only fair really ;-)