What Fees are you Paying for Training

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a twelve-month contract, $90/month for the first family member, $85/month for the second, and I'm the third at $80/month. No contract is $100/month.

These are NYC metropolitan area prices, so I'm not surprised by them, and there are students--as in still-in-school students--who go up to four days a week. Adults can, too, but I'm only aware of one "veteran" and one novice (a just-started-two-weeks-ago white belt) who do four days.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

It sounds like we all pay not too much for lots of classes. Do you have any extra costs. I got a free uniform and all belt tests are free. I also got a great naginata for a gift at my first belt test. Paid for the naginata pants myself but other than that It's $75 a month for 5 days a week

Do you have any extra costs. I got a free uniform and all belt tests are free. . . . It's $75 a month for 5 days a week

The uniform is purchased separately, and while you receive a new belt with a color promotion, the testing fee is $40.

I don't know if you're able to attend five days a week, Shotokan, but it's great to know that you can. Also, you might find that if you can't attend class on a "regular" day in your schedule, you can make it up on another day that can be sqeezed in.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

We don't have (at my karate schools) any testing fees. I think I payed $18 for my uniform, don't remember exactly. I've bought two more since then on my own (one more karate gi and a judo gi), and have never had to pay for belts.

The school has weapons for the students to use, but I usually buy my own weapons so that I can practice at home. To give an idea of weapons expenses, I've bought 4 bokken (1@$10 (broke rather easy, Made in Taiwan), 1@$20, 1@$15 (Wakizashi length Japanese White Oak) and 1@$65 (Japanese White Oak)), 1 pair of Sai ($30), 1 Rattan Bo ($30, I need to get an Oak one), 1 pair of Escrima ($15).

That about covers all of the expenses. (Aside from tournaments that I enter, but they're not connected with the schools).

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

I havent signed on at a school yet but it seems at the 3 dojos closest to me I have seen:

$95 a month (half off each family member) special of $150 for 3 months + Uniform (TKD)

$95 a month plus a yearly membership of $119 which includes uniform, testing, belts, etc (family discount as well) (Shorin Ryu)

$140 a month, no discount.

The prices seem high but I do recognize that the taxes in my area are insane. (and we have 2 practically empty shopping lots.....gee I wonder why)

What types of fees are you paying for your training? Do you feel it is worth it or not? If you train at famous places are the fees more compared to other places?

We're just a small club that meets in a warehouse space with some boxing rings.. So our dues are cheap.

Nothing, I train for free.

I charge my students £ 4.00 per two hour session on a pay as you train basis (if you dont train you dont pay). Thats about $2.50 by todays rate.

No contracts. Contracts are for the devil lol.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I pay about $100 AUD per month. That includes 2 formal lessons, and the option to do Tournament Training and Saturday morning training where you are free to do what you want.

I love the Saturdays, we usually do heaps of sparring but yesterday I spent some time with one of our members who is also a blackbelt in Ju Jitsu learning some new ground fighting techniques.