• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Extra Long Gi tops?

G95champ

I am a large man about 6'1 330 or so and even when I buy a large Gi like size 7 or 8. I still have troulbe keeping it inside my belt.

Does anyone know a site or store that sells extra long Gi tops?

Please PM me or email me if you don't want to post the link. I don't think you can.

Tahnks.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It sounds like you may need to get one made to order. I've never seen a Gi bigger than a 6 supplied by the suppliers I use.

I would recommend contacting the manufacturer direct or getting one made in Japan of good quality cotton 14/16oz so it will last you a long time.

Sorry I can't help any further

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

You might try getting one taylor-made for you. Take one of your older ones to the taylor, so they can get an idea for the pattern, and then have them size you up for you.

Yeah its not a huge deal but after about 30mins of kata or sparring It keeps comming out so I just leave it out lol.

If we do basics I got time to adjust it between sets.

Its not that I care just looks unprofessional lol

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I've seen some shotokan practicioners wear uniform tops that went down to their knees for this exact same reason. Try searching in that direction.

• 2 weeks later...

At 6'1", 330#, I'd be surprised if you found any size 7 gi that fit you well. I would go with at least a size 8 or size 9. Size 8 isn't too hard to find here in the US. There are few gis that come in size 9.

If you haven't already, you should try a tournament cut gi. The jackets are cut longer and the sleeves are shorter than standard cut. Of course, you can't assume anything about sizing a gi online, Check sizing charts if available. Some gis are cut on the narrow side. That's not likely to work well for you.

I see you list yourself as FSKA. I assume that's Funakoshi Shotokan Karate Association. A lot of Shotokan practitioners like Tokaido brand gis. I think the Tokaido Ultimate is cut a little on the narrow side, in both the tournament cut and standard cut. The Tokaido Kaminari and Tokaido Kumo are cut fuller and are available in tournament cut size 8.

I'll shoot you a PM.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• 2 weeks later...

G95champ,

One place you could try is a small maker of gis called Anshin. They aren't cheap, but no more than Shuriedo or Tokiado. They are made in the USA and will custom make one for you. Good stuff and they make different tops that are different lengths.

Just a thought. The web page is https://www.worldpath.net/~anshin/

It's a small company that makes things to order.

Rick.

Rick