• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does anyone know which were the original Kwans? I had thought that there were 5 at first, but maybe there were 6? From what I have read, the Chung Do Kwan was the first one. There was also the Moo Duk Kwan, which now exists as both a TKD organization and a TSD organization. Was the Ji Do Kwan another?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was first

~ Chung Do Kwan

~ Moo Duk Kwan

~ Jidokwan (or Yun Moo Kwan)

~ Chang Moo Kwan

~ Song Moo Kwan.

Then Oh Do Kwan came out of the Chung Do Kwan and you get Han Moo Kwan, Kang Duk Won and the Jung Do Kwan but I'm not sure of their histories.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think Oh Do Kwan was formed by Gen. Choi and Nam Tae Hi (of Chung Do Kwan). A lot of the original members were also from the Chung Do Kwan and Choi himself had ranking with them.

I don't really know a great deal about the Kwans to be honest. I looked into something about the Oh Do Kwan a while back so I know a bit about that and the Chung Do Kwan but as for the rest I don't know much at all.

Wikipeddia gives a brief history of the Kwans but doesn't go into much detail with some of them.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Changmoo-Kwan and Kangduk-Won information:

http://www.arlingtonkarate.com/articles/CMKstory.pdf

R. McLain

Thanks for the information. I shall put it to good use. I hope...

According to TKDTimes, Jan. 2008, Won Kuk Lee founded the Chung Do Kwan on September 15, 1944. The article notes that he received training in Shotokan Karate under Funakoshi at the age of 19. He also trained in Chinese and Okinawan styles while traveling. It appears that the Chung Do Kwan was labeled as Tang Soo Do.

Moo Duk Kwon: founded by Hwang Kee. Established November 9, 1945. Kee claims to have begun his MA training with the arts of Taek Kyon and Subak, in secret; no master or teacher is mentioned in the article I read. Later on, 1936 or thereabouts, he studied Chinese Martial Arts. Originally calling his style Hwa Soo Do, he later renamed it Tang Soo Do. After reading in the Muye Dobo Tongi, Kee renamed his art Soo Bahk Do to reflect Korea's ancient MA heritage.

The article gets intersting after this: Apparently, when the Korean government was attempting to unify the "resurrected" Martial Arts of the period (I assume this means the Kwans), some of the advanced members of the Korea Soo Bahk Do Association left and formed a distinct branch of the Moo Duk Kwon under the Korea Taekwondo Association. I wondered why there was Moo Duk Kwon TSD and Moo Duk Kwon TKD, and now I know why.

According to the info that I received from rmclain, the Changmoo-Kwan came from the YMCA Central Kwon Bop Bu. Was this a "kwan" as well? If I remember my readings correctly, Yoon Byung-in was a black belt in Karate.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know which were the original Kwans? I had thought that there were 5 at first, but maybe there were 6? From what I have read, the Chung Do Kwan was the first one. There was also the Moo Duk Kwan, which now exists as both a TKD organization and a TSD organization. Was the Ji Do Kwan another?

The five original Kwans were Song Moo Kwan (Byung Jik Ro), Chung Do Kwan (Lee Won Kuk), Moo Duk Kwan (Hwang Kee), Kwon Bup Bu which became Chang Moo Kwan (Byung In Yoon/Lee Nam Suk), and Yun Moo Kwan, which became Jido Kwan (Sang Sup Chun)...These 5 kwans were established after the liberation of the Korean peninsula in 1945. Subsequently Han Moo Kwan, Oh Do Kwan, Kang Duk Won, and Jung Do Kwan were later established, and became major players.

To be sure, it was mentioned earlier that the Moo Duk Kwan exists in TKD and TSD. The TRUE Moo Duk Kwan exists now, only as SOO BAHK DO. The founding Master of the Moo Duk Kwan (Hwang Kee) was involved in the unification talks with the KTA when it was being formed, and later decided to drop out of the Tae Kwon Do movement...Along with Jidokwan I believe. Hwang Kee, Kwan Jang Nim, went through many legal battles and won to keep his Moo Duk Kwan and Korea Soo Bak Do Association seperate from the Tae Kwon Do movement. Some students of Moo Duk Kwan decided to stay with the TKD movement, and formed their own Moo Duk Kwan within the TKD (without the knowledge or consent of Hwang Kee, Kwan Jang Nim). His style was Tang Soo Do until he changed the arts name to Soo Bahk Do.

fwiw,

--josh