• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does Martial Arts really help?

Would martial arts really help in a fight? a one on one?

I feel that street fighting is its own martial art where its only form is the right way to punch and kick...

I have recently been in a Street Fight, but I did not use martial arts.

I fought the way to fight, I have learned that fancy moves are a waste of time and that Martial arts is only good for strengthening your body...

Seriously, if you have never been in a fight, you rally will not know how it feels until you actually fight...Martial arts is very different and does not feel the same

Been a long time since I have been here

A drop of sweat spent in practice is a drop of blood saved in a battle.

A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martial Arts is a way of conditioning your body to be able to fight. While a high roundhouse kick is likely a bad choice in a real fight, by practicing your roundhouse kick you work on flexibility, and the ability to do the kick. A roundhouse in a real fight would best be done to the side of the legs, or in that area. A high kick could lead to loss of balance or opening up your guard which your opponent could take advantage of.

When practicing forms (katas) chances are you won't get attacked the way they are set up. But the purpose of the form is to show you how moves can flow together, and how they can be used with each other.

So I would say yes, Martial Arts does help. While chances are you won't be landing that axe kick to a collarbone, it can be adapted to the fight at hand.

I think that if you are fighting, then you are being Martial, and thus, being a Martial Artist, in a sense. Therefore, Martial Arts do work in fights, because fighting is Martial Arts/Sciences/Concepts/whatever you want to call it.

I see that you list Boxing among your styles; did you punch in this fight? If you did, I would be willing to bet that some of that Boxing skill you have accumulated paid off during the encounter.

Martial arts should matter in a fight, it's what they were designed for. In the county, some schools have lost sight of that and are less efficient. I'll grant you that.

But at it's heart, MA's should be about fighting and one should be training to do so while in class. My feeling is that any ma system is only a systematic way of teaching fighting, nothing more. Labels beyond that are really kind of useless, they merely serve to define your own particular way of preparing for conflict.

I do think that any movements taught in class that do not immediatly prepare one to fight should be disregarded, therefore, I'm not a huge proponant of fancy manuvers or high kicks. And any movement that takes years to learn to use successfully is also suspect. However, everyone should train the way they see best, just be aware of the limitations of your chosen path to combative efficiency.

If you're in a school focusing on combat, you should be metally preparing for the realities of coflict as well. This, more th an anything, will prepare you to survive.

So yes, it should help. If it isn't then maybe you need to look at an art that will work on the thing s you see as more critical in the kinds of situations you're looking at. Or dig deeper into what you're doing. Even when all things are lined up on the trainnig side, you have to look at the very real possibility that things might not go you're way. There are too many variables in real fights to account for them all, no matter what you're training in.

Haveing been there a time or two, i can say that you're right. It's different than being on the floor. The difference part of the thing you have to mentally overcome and prepare for. I can't stress mental preparation enough, it's the key, no matter what you're doing. I can also say that the time I spent training was nothing but helpful in my circumstances.

I think that if you are fighting, then you are being Martial, and thus, being a Martial Artist, in a sense. Therefore, Martial Arts do work in fights, because fighting is Martial Arts/Sciences/Concepts/whatever you want to call it.

I see that you list Boxing among your styles; did you punch in this fight? If you did, I would be willing to bet that some of that Boxing skill you have accumulated paid off during the encounter.

hmm, yes, I think it did.

My punches were strong and in the right form, and the result left a fist shaped bruise on my opponents face...

Mabye its just the fancy moves like a backflip kick that wouldnt work, especially if you are grabbed.

A drop of sweat spent in practice is a drop of blood saved in a battle.

A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.

You can use your martial art training in a fight. You just have to be confident in your skills. Also you have to choose what particular moves are not going to work. Forexample I wouldn't throw a a jump spinning heel kick (even if I could pull this off in the gym). You will be more relaxed in said situation if you spar the way you intend on fighting. By this I don't mean throwing hard in training just stylisticly practice combos, put yourself in situations that may occur in a fight.

I feel that street fighting is its own martial art where its only form is the right way to punch and kick...

I fought the way to fight, I have learned that fancy moves are a waste of time and that Martial arts is only good for strengthening your body...

Seriously, if you have never been in a fight, you rally will not know how it feels until you actually fight...Martial arts is very different and does not feel the same

it can do more than just help, it can save your life if taught right.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

"When pure knuckles meet pure flesh, that's pure Karate, no matter who executes it or whatever style is involved." -- Ed Parker

There is no teacher but the enemy.

"When pure knuckles meet pure flesh, that's pure Karate, no matter who executes it or whatever style is involved." -- Ed Parker
Awesome. And true.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely, but perhaps it depends on what kind of martial arts you're practicing (and how long you've been practicing for).

Something as simple as a double leg takedown can be the deciding factor in a fight. The same can be said for a basic jab and cross.

Street fighting is not its own martial art, its just the name you give people who have no idea how to fight or fight outside of a ring, cage, or other venue. "Street fighters" are inexperienced and react accordingly. If you didnt use what it was you train in, you're probably training the wrong thing.

Fancy moves are generally defined as that because they've got many details in order to be pulled off correctly. The more that has to be done in order to execute the technique, the more that can go wrong (i.e. simple is effective).

If you really think martial arts arent helping you to learn how to fight, there was an episode of pros vs joes where they brought out a pro boxer (the second on the show, after roy jones jr) who was about 140lbs. He dropped every joe, some who outweighed him by more than 50lbs, and it did it with ease and a smile on his face. He didnt do that natrually- he was taught how to do it.