• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm really starting to see that non-resistance has lots of advantages in fighting and in life situations in general. In BT and BJJ I always hear the teacher saying "relax don't fight it" and at first it confused me. We are learning to fight aren't we? It's an interesting concept and I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It sounds like you are speaking of relaxing more during a fight/match, right? I think it does have its advantages; although I don't have much fight experience, I think that not being tensed up can help to clear you mind.

Yes, relaxation is important. In all arts, not just the grappling ones.

It does seem counter-intutive but it is accurate. Relaxed muscles respond quicker to spontaneous stimuli. Additionally, you spend way more energy worthlessly when your tense. Energy that you could spend better in a fight.

When it really goes down, you'll find that you tense more than you anticipated. It's inevatable. So if you train to relax more in practice, you'll manage to keep more relaxed when you're body instincitively responds.

It's important to realize this and prepare for it. That's why trainers came up with the "stree-innoculation". It's a way of training that simulates realistic conditions to prepare the body for the stress of combat. That way, when the heart rate increses, you manage to keep it together longer.

But yes, relaxation during training is important. Until it's time not to keep relaxed, the trick is knowing when to do each.

Non-resistance can have advantages in that it can teach one to keep their mind clear. Also, with a lot of submission and throwing techniques, you're less likely to obtain damage if you don't resist, and actually even jump into it.

This helps greatly relaxation. When you tense up during a fight or submission match you tend to hold you breath and you heart reate and blood pressure sky rocket. Thus causing you to gas early. When relaxed you will move more fluidly and punches will be snappy and not stiff.

Personally I use to completely freak out when put in a guilletin.The reason was I had beenfinished with this choke and it came fast. I thought I had little time to get out. Now that I'm wiser I know that even if caught good I've got a better than adverage chance to get out. Llyod Irvin use to send out a news letter teaching you how to relax. I used the tips within them and have also showed them to my Sensei and he liked them and we implimented them into our training and the have worked for everyone in the dojo in one way or another.

Relaxationis the key to fighting or grappling better. I take time to be relaxed when someone puts you on the wall and is throwing and endless flury. But you'll learn not to panic and look for you spot. On this also you need to find your style of fighting and you'll be more relaxed too.

So then the way to win is to make the other person panic. :)

So then the way to win is to make the other person panic. :)

Well, perhaps. I would just count on that, though. A coward will fight hard if he is backed into a corner, and thinks he may be killed.

One thing that we might notice in a fight is that when the adrenaline dumps, you can get tired quick. Even someone who is in great physical condition, and doesn't tire from 3 rounds of fighting, will most likely be breathing hard after defending himself when being jumped from behind.

When someone truly panics they're more likely to forget their training. Look at the early UFC's. It wasn't that some of those guys didn't know how to fight, but they had never really been tested and they panicked and all their skills when right out the window.

When someone truly panics they're more likely to forget their training. Look at the early UFC's. It wasn't that some of those guys didn't know how to fight, but they had never really been tested and they panicked and all their skills when right out the window.
Yes, good point. I never thought of it that way. And Royce had already been in very many fights prior to its debut.