• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do the Martial Arts run in your family?

I am the only one who has trained in Martial Arts in my family. I have some cousins who are interested and keep talking about trying, but havent. My nephew wants to start, but my sister hasn't gotten him over here yet. My other two nephews NEED IT for the discipline.

Tiger1962 - the great thing about Martial Arts is that anyone can do it. I hope one day you will try.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family's very religious (the kind that frowns a lot on martial arts). :dodgy:

Kinda interesting that you say that, bc I am a Christian, and one of the reasons I looked into martial arts at all was bc of a Christian counselor!

Currently, it's just me training, though my dad and brother took it up shortly after I did. My dad had to drop out mainly bc his left for arm was crushed in an accident years ago, though you could never tell now, and he didn't want to cause problems with that. Hopefully my brother will take it up again.

But I do have a long family history of military service. several members of my family are former military, not to mention if you look far back enough, you'll see action even back to the Civil War (American), and probably before that, but family history currently not that extensive.

And now, I'm done boring you all. :D

"Be Water my friend."

"The spirit of defeating a man is the same for ten million men." Miyamoto Mushahi

They're all Jehovah's Witnesses. They're SUPER against martial arts.

Not bored at all! I find family histories to be very interesting.

Chikara

karate es el amor de mi vida.

My whole family used to be in the martial arts, but sadly, all but I dropped out.

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido

• 2 weeks later...

my grandpa trained in several styles of martial arts and created his own style- hon-shin-do, he is a 9th dan. My dad trained in hon-shin-do and only got his brown belt. my uncle trained in the same art and i believe is a black belt. and i trained in several styles including hon-shin-do. So we even have a family art.

Hon-Shin-Do=The way of the True Heart

Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go untill they think they are going to collapse. but the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further beyond all limits. Only when all these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached.

it has old roots in okinawan shorie ryu

Hon-Shin-Do=The way of the True Heart

Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go untill they think they are going to collapse. but the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further beyond all limits. Only when all these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached.

I was wondering how many of us here have Martial Arts running in their families.

My dad was into TKD many years ago, and although he only made it to red belt, he knows a lot more than some black belts I know.

My mom holds 2nd dan rank in TKD, but doesn't actively train anymore.

My two younger brothers both hold 1st dan rank in TKD, and they both Wrestled in high school. Neither are actively training right now.

How about anyone else?

I come from a family much like yours.

My father was big into Judo (3rd dan)and boxed in that Marines

My mom held a 2nd dan in Shong Ji Ryu Kempo

of my four older brothers:

one has a 6th dan in American Kenpo

one has a 3rd dan in Hapkido/TKD

one is a golden glove boxer and all american wrestler

and the last teaches Wing Chun Gung Fu

I have two sisters as well both hold black belts in Hapkido/TKD

I have a son (black belt in Zanchin Karate), and two daughters (both brown belts in Zanching Karate)

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

I come from a family much like yours.

My father was big into Judo (3rd dan)and boxed in that Marines

My mom held a 2nd dan in Shong Ji Ryu Kempo

of my four older brothers:

one has a 6th dan in American Kenpo

one has a 3rd dan in Hapkido/TKD

one is a golden glove boxer and all american wrestler

and the last teaches Wing Chun Gung Fu

I have two sisters as well both hold black belts in Hapkido/TKD

I have a son (black belt in Zanchin Karate), and two daughters (both brown belts in Zanching Karate)

That's really cool! Nobody better come looking for trouble at one of your family reunions!

I guess I should add my wife to the list I made earlier, too. After all, I met her at class! :brow: