• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No time to train- what do you do?

As someone who has rarely been able to continuously train in a style, whether boxing, mma, or various grappling hi jinks, it can get somewhat discouraging trading in gloves and gis for textbooks and no car. How do you usually deal with long dry spells in your training?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bummer, and it's tough to deal with.

First up, I'd try to find a couple of unoffical training partners to work with outside of class. Those are actually some of the best partners I've worked with over the years. If you can find some one willing to do an info swap it's even better.

After that, I'd see if you have a place to set up a makeshift training facility. It's now time to go Rocky Balboa on your training.

Hang a heavy bag and start a daily regimine.

Next, get a couple of 2 by 4's that are a foot or so long. You'll need to cut some closed cell foam that you can get from wal-mart. Double stack this and lock it down to the entire face with duct tape. Now lag bolt these into the nearest wall stud. One at lower leg height and the other at head height. Now you have a great set of tools to work everything from low line kicks and knees on the lower to punches and elbows on the top. Combo work on these can do wonders. They also allow you to trap and strike off the targets. Just don't hit the bolts.

If you can hang a double end bag it's a pretty good option too. It lets you work upper body motion and accurcey and can be set up in suprisining little space.

After that, it's about conditioning. Lot's of shadow boxing will be good. Try to set up specific skills to work on during each round and work hard. If you do weapons, work in the air can be acceptable if you just can't find a partner. Just remember to actaully work on skills rather than just slice through imaginary ninjas :) . That seems to happen to me from time to time.

Of course, if you're into kata, you'd focus on that during this time as well.

After that, rope jumping, running, weights, ect. Keep the warrior mindset all the time, it's easy to let it slip if you're not throwing down with other guys.

Some things that I used to do on my own:

punches with dumbbells. Start with a light weigh, like 5 lbs, and do sets of jabs, crosses, and combos from each side.

kick sets. Pick a kick, then do 5 on the front leg, then 5 off the rear leg. Switch leads and repeat. Then, do another kick.

Stretching, push-ups, and crunches are good exercises to do, and take up little room. You can also take the dumbbells you did the punches with, and do elevated push-ups with them.

The important thing to do is find a few minutes here and there, and do something. Other than that, when I don't train, I read.

As someone who has rarely been able to continuously train in a style, whether boxing, mma, or various grappling hi jinks, it can get somewhat discouraging trading in gloves and gis for textbooks and no car. How do you usually deal with long dry spells in your training?

Is the question more related to how to "keep going" in an art, or are you asking how to train if you don't have time to get to class? Or, do you not even have time for solo training? I'm a little confused.

Thanks,

If I may suggest, one of the best ways to train with out directly punching and kicking if you don't have equipment is to go out and excise when you get the chance. Like others have already suggested push-ups, crunches, sit in the floor and stretch why your watching TV.

Anyways back to original purpose of my post, go running or jogging. It builds endurance and leg strength, heck it makes your lungs stronger and if you push yourself a little more each day it builds your determination. Start with a mile if you can, if not as close as you can and build up. Once you get to a mile the next day, or every other day or when ever.. try and do it a bit fast and more consistent keeping the same speed till the end push. After you can do a mile fairly well step it up to two miles. I'll admit during the winter I stopped running and got lazy, so I'll have to start over but last time I had a good running regimen I got to where I could run three and 1/2 fairly easy.

Solo training, Andre Galvao has some interesting ideas on youtube, and there some DVD's with good info on solo drilling technique like Stephan Kestlings (solo drills) as well as Paul Greenhill's (shadow grappling).

You can also work on your athleticism and diffrent attibutes that fuel your techniques from sport specific excercise, to working on general endurance, and strengeth training.

• 1 month later...
Definitely keep doing things to keep yourself in physical shape. I agree about running.

However, for maintaining what you know in martial arts, I have one word for you... KATA.

Spot on Doug.

Provided you have the room, Kata is a great way to keep the mind and body ticking over in those dry spells.

Fortunately I am still club training regularly, but despite this I am often found practicing Chinto kata in the kitchen whilst waiting for the kettle to boil.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com