• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favourite Kata - If you were able to keep 5 what are they?

Dobbersky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My five:

Sanchin, Sanchin, Sanchin, Sanchin, and Sanchin.

Soooo, I take it you like Sanchin? ;)

Have you read the book The Way of Sanchin Kata? Even though I don't practice the kata, I found the book quite interesting.

long list:

heian shodan

heian nidan

heian sandan

heian yondan

tekki shodan

bassai dai

kanku dai

jion

empi

tekki nidan

kanku sho

bassai sho

short list:

1. kanku sho

2. empi

3. heian sandan

4. bassai dai

5. tekki nidan

It's kinda funny, I didn't realize I knew this many kata until I actually wrote them down. Time flies when you're learning kata I guess.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

• 9 years later...

WOW ten years ago I posted my top 5 favorite kata and none of them are there today. That's such a cool thing to see. Espically since I included. Brief reason why. So for the sake of posterity I'll update my list.

1. Meikyo

2. Kanku Sho

3. Gojushisho Sho

4. Gankanku

5. Wankan

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I just read through this old but good thread. Thanks for digging it up, G95champ.

A lot of people listed what I consider advanced kata. I guess it keeps my brown belt self in check. My 5 favorites in somewhat order...

Seiunchin - I did this as a shodan during my previous stint. I love every part of it. It’s waiting for me when I earn shodan again.

Saiha - This kata just flat out makes sense to me. More so than any others I’ve done and seen. Simple (in the whole grand scheme of things), yet IMO brutally effective.

Sanchin - If I only knew Sanchin and Saiha, I wouldn’t feel cheated at all. I love the rooting, tension, and the “checking” and conditioning. Some styles such as Uechi Ryu say everything you need is in Sanchin. I don’t think that’s too far off.

Pinan 5 - A lot of stuff going on in this one. A great tournament kyu kata and bunkai kata IMO.

Tsuki-No Kata - Not a very well known kata. I started learning it a few months ago. I’m really just starting to feel comfortable with it. Developed by Seigo Tada, founder of Goju Ryu Seigokan, they call it Kihon Tsuki-No Kata, meaning basic/fundamental punching kata. That name hits the nail on the head. A lot of transitioning and punching from different stances. Since I’ve gotten half way decent at it, I’m starting to like it more than Pinan 5.

Naihanchi

Naihanchi

Naihanchi

Naihanchi

Naihanchi

The entire series, of course.

Outside of that, I'm quite fond of Wankan, Meikyo, Kanku Sho, Pinan Godan, and Unsu.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Favorite Kata

Naifanchin (Naihanchi)

Pinan Shodan

Seisan

Rohai

Passai

Useishi

Chinto

Kusanku

Hakutsuru

Wanduan

If I could only have 5

Naifanchin

Seisan

Useishi

Rohai

Kusanku

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll