• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lowering your Opponents Guard for the Knockout technqiue

What is your favourite way to lower you opponents guard and what is your favourite knockout technique.

Mine has to be a hook to the body to lower the guard (which is also a hard shot) followed by a hook to the chin. Combined with the body rotation it feels so powerful.

https://www.markstraining.com Fighting and Training Methods for Unarmed Martial Artists.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like to get in close, punching the body. In our TKD classes, we can kick to the head, but not punch. So, I like to bring the hands down with punches, and then try to go high. Round kick would be my high kick of choice.

A nice, hard, spin heel kick to the body will bring the guard down, too.

Drop the guard by forcing them to block your kicks. In other words attack the arms.

In a perfect world if I were given the shot to KO someone just for fun it would have to be with a round elbow I love it LOL.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I wouldn't rely on a single strike ever knocking someong out, that being said, I see what you're getting at.

I'd have to say the top choice for me is a flurry to the head, making sure a couple of the shots are hooks. This tends not only to raise the guard but also allows the defenders elbows to drift out as the bend forward slightly. Then thow the uppercut off the back hand. It's worked pretty good for me.

A second would be shin kick low w/ power and drop the cross immedtately. It's also caught a few guys for me with good results.

What is your favourite way to lower you opponents guard and what is your favourite knockout technique.

Mine has to be a hook to the body to lower the guard (which is also a hard shot) followed by a hook to the chin. Combined with the body rotation it feels so powerful.

I second that one- I like doubling up on hooks as well. Sometimes if my opponent is doing a good job of blocking up top, I'll try a stiff jab to the gut followed by a right haymaker. Another alternative I like is an inside lead cut kick followed by whatever hand combo you'd prefer.

I like faking a hook and then using my free hand to push the arms down. Then, unless they're quicker than me, I can almost do whatever I want.

I wouldn't rely on a single strike ever knocking someong out, that being said, I see what you're getting at.

I'd have to say the top choice for me is a flurry to the head, making sure a couple of the shots are hooks. This tends not only to raise the guard but also allows the defenders elbows to drift out as the bend forward slightly. Then thow the uppercut off the back hand. It's worked pretty good for me.

A second would be shin kick low w/ power and drop the cross immedtately. It's also caught a few guys for me with good results.

I agree, probably a low roundhouse to drop the guard. or maybe a push or snap kick the privates, if it doesn't land it would prob lower their guard at least to setup for the knockout.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I staying moving around and then after several rounds, after there tired, there hands get sloppy and drop any way then I hit them. This doesn't work if you dont' have good endurance, because then your guard will get sloppy to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I like to get in close, punching the body. In our TKD classes, we can kick to the head, but not punch. So, I like to bring the hands down with punches, and then try to go high. Round kick would be my high kick of choice.

A nice, hard, spin heel kick to the body will bring the guard down, too.

I like the different perspectives and suggestions, but I wondered, Bushidoman, about the dojang rule not to punch to the head, only to kick. Is this for sparring only? TKD is well-known for its high kicks, but do you practice hand strikes to the head in separate self-defense techniques/drills?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu